Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected increase in background jobs

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Gurus,

There is an unexpected increase in the background jobs with status "Scheduled". Everyday more than 300 of these jobs are coming under this status and the user is a System user. Also when I try to display these jobs through SM37 it throws me dump may be because of its huge quantity. Could you please provide your expertise here as to why is this happening.

Regards,

Abhishek Paritosh

+91 9860604735

abhishek.paritosh@gmail.com

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Finally the issue is resolved. And the solution goes like this:-

Job SUBMIT_J_2GLPPDL_0820013449 will not appear any more in the system. The job mentioned is appearing from the main job A(name changed). If the delivery for which B(program name changed) is not in processed status for that the job gets scheduled always by the main job.

Thank you all for your support. Hope it remains the same always .

Regards,

Abhishek Paritosh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

feng_shi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Firstly, the "Scheduled" status jobs can never start.

The job has either been descheduled(Released->Scheduled), (if it is this case, the original start condition is still visible), or it never had a start condition.

※ if user has no release privilege, The job stays in status "Scheduled" with start condition.

Object: S_BTCH_JOB

JOBACTION = RELE

please see the wiki:

Job Status Issue -- Troubleshooting - Application Server Infrastructure - SCN Wiki

This is also the root cause why you got error when click on to the job to look for the steps, I think.

Return to the main issue here, the jobs would not exist in sm37 unless there is a "process" create the job data into job tables.

regarding job tables, please refer to wiki:

Database Tables for Background Processing system - Application Server Infrastructure - SCN Wiki

I think you can try to find out the "process"  by checking the following steps:

1, checking the SM37 or job main table TBTCO, find out the exactly timestamp when the jobs were created everyday

2, according to the job creation timestamp, checking the SM37 or job main table TBTCO again to try find out if there is a job running on the timestamp, trigger the more than 300 "Scheduled" jobs.

3, if there are no such jobs, probably, the jobs were created by third-party software via calling BAPIs.

you should check RZ15 log according to the job creation timestamp, try to find out the third-party software.

Thanks and best regards,

Shi Feng

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Feng,

After analyzing the job through table TBTCO I found something interesting. Column SDLDATE i.e Date of job/step scheduling is from 14.09.2007 to 18.09.2007 and one on 08.10.2007 with a different user if which is currently not available in the system. Please suggest.

Regards.

feng_shi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Column SDLDATE means "Date of job/step scheduling" which indicates the job first creation time.

here, in this case, you should check LASTCHDATE and LASTCHNAME because it is possible that the job has been exist in the system long time ago but was copied by one "process" every day....

Best regards,

Shi Feng

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

As you said LASTCHDATE and LASTCHNAME also corresponds the SDLDATE. Same year and same user JOBRUN.

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Also I check for the authorization to the user for auth objects with auth team

Object: S_BTCH_JOB

JOBACTION = RELE

it has the above authorization.

feng_shi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

please provide the following info:

1,the exact job name that increasing every day with status "Scheduled"

2,go to sm37, just select one that job and get "job details" hard copy

Thanks and best regards,

Shi Feng

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Feng,

1) Exact job name is SUBMIT_J_2GLPPDL_0820013449.

2) Once i click on job details it throws me error as i earlier stated

Definition of job SUBMIT_J_2GLPPDL_0820013449 is incomplete. Operation is not possible.

Regards.

feng_shi
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The job has not been completely defined(probably the step definition is missing).

The job was defined with a call to the JOB_OPEN function module. But no job steps have been defined with the JOB_SUBMIT function module.

when the jobs were created into system everyday exactly ?

please check system log(sm21) if there are any error messages.

please also check if there are any third-party softwares be using to trigger jobs to your system.

Since incomplete jobs are useless, you can consider to delete these jobs by using the program RSBTCDEL2.

Best regards,

Shi Feng

mervin_joseph
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Added to Feng..

Yes ,since the Job_Submit(to add a job step to a background job) function module ,start condition is not defined properly, that is the reason why the job is not released, eventhough the user had required authorization to release.

And also it seems like some one has created this job through tcode J2GLPPDL(Main program for printing deliveries) related to SD deliveries.

So if possible please get in touch with your SD consultant and understand what they actually do through tcode J2GLPPDL and then proceed further.

Best Regards,

Mervin Joseph

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

Message no. BT182

Suggest you to follow SAP KBA  1964073 - SolMan: Many jobs CCMS_CPH_RAW_DATA_UPDATE and CCMS_CPH_AGGR_DATA_UPDATE with status "sche...as the same is related with SAP Solution Manager,but it might be helpful for you in resolution.

Regards,

0 Kudos

Hi,

It is possible that this is being spawned by a process on the system or from another system, check if there was any changes to the system recently if this a recent occurrence. Also if sm37 is dumping look in sm50 select a batch process  and look at the logs to provide more information.

Regards,

Ryan

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Fernandez,

I found the jobs from the table TBTCO and it seems there is some problem with the job definition. Because after I click on to the job to look for the steps and the config it throws me error :

Definition of job SUBMIT_J_2GLPPDL_0820013449 is incomplete. Operation is not possible

Message no. BT182

Diagnosis

The job that you have selected has not been completely defined. You therefore cannot modify the job's attributes. The job was defined with a call to the JOB_OPEN function module. But no job steps have been defined with the JOB_SUBMIT function module.

A possible explanation for this error is that a job was created non-interactively through the background programming interface. However, the program that created the job did not finish defining and scheduling the job.

System Response

Job attributes not modified.

Procedure

Use the background job management facility to edit the job and finish scheduling it.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Is this a job that you have created? if it is go into SM37 and delete and re-create it.

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

No I have not created this job. It is created by a system user. No idea how it is trigerring.

0 Kudos

Hi,

J_2GLPPDL is related to a printing program for delivery docs that might be something you can chase up.

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dont know if it is standard or customizes program. Any clue? Do I need to take a ABAPer to dig more into this?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek.

I think the job not getting executed. Could you check the job created user id is having authorization to release the background job?

Regards

SS

0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently I see no error or issue that you are having apart from understanding why you have 300 jobs scheduled.. do the jobs eventually run and finish?

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Ryan,

I have showed what error I am facing but yes you are right that the jobs are just in schedules status and they are more than 300. Since these jobs are dynamic, for the jobs which I see today in scheduled state are not running nor they are finished.

Regards.

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sriram,

The job is not getting executed. Will check for the authorization with the auth team.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

If the jobs are sitting in "scheduled" and not even being released I would find out who or how the jobs were created and see if there is an issue on how it was created possibly debug for the answer.

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry to say but I tried to gather this info from the related teams but in vain

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sriram,

The user id has the access to release the job.

Regards.

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

display these jobs through SM37 it throws me dump

Could you share the dump details from ST22 ?

Regards,

former_member472240
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gaurav,

Its a TIME OUT dump. Because there are plenty of jobs to be displayed it is throwing this dump. I think it should be a normal phenomena in SAP. Still if you want then i will share it.

Regards.