cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Thesis Topics On SAP Hana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I decided to post a Suggestion request here . I am having knowledge about SAP HANA data modelling and Analytics. I have done a project regarding Advance Real Time data analytics with Hadoop and SAP HANA as an intern . I have supported in various Poc like Workload Mangement . I have worked with SAP Predictive Analytics and frontend tools SAP offers.

HANA seems to be really a wide technology and i have some experience in my Internship. So one general question i would like to ask is  What should the Master thesis related to HANA focus on according to my experience .

Suggestions from you experts could really help me shaping my work.

I have got some ideas like Virtual datawarehousing but not the proper idea !!

Regards

Yashi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

lars.breddemann@sap.com Please suggest something!!

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yashi

I'm pretty sure not the right person to come up with the topic for an academic research endeavour.

As your master thesis will likely demand some extended form of work and time investment from your side, I'd say: choose something that interests you.

While technology by itself can be very challenging and interesting my personal view on SAP HANA related technology is that it is probably too much 'productised'/'mainstream' as to be really exciting for the cutting edge researcher.

What's more interesting - again, this is my very personal view - is what can be done with SAP HANA. For SAP as an organisation this product triggered changes on many levels and very different areas.

One I personally like a lot are the new systems in the medical area. Medical Research Insights (MRI https://experience.sap.com/designservices/work/simplifying-nct-patient-data-to-save-lives) and projects like the one with ASCO (ASCO Teams with SAP to Help Transform Cancer Patient Care | ASCO.org) enable better analysis and development of treatments for cancer patients.

This sort of system would not have been possible to build before the SAP HANA program.

So, maybe this could be something where you want to write about.

Anyhow, good luck and success!

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello thank you so much.. I have heard about about the HANA Vora but we have an issue ..we are working with Cloudera and it supports spark 1.3 whereas vora works with spark 1.4 onwards.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you try to explore HANA & Spark integration for advanced/predictive analytics?

Specially on  how to leverage corporate data for Hadoop-centric data science scenarios without moving that data to Hadoop and optimizing the query on top of that data.

I believe it'd be a great scenario for a master thesis.

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my project, I did use smart data access with integration of Spark controller for Hdaoop . I did some text analysis and sentimental analysis for unstructured data from Hadoop and also used PAL on Hana.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique.

It was just an example.(probably not the best one..)

Regards.

Osvaldo.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd propose something on the other way around.

How to make the life of a data scientist, who is working on Spark Shell/R, much easier, by allowing him to consume the corporate data from the SAP systems residing on HANA in a transparent and performatic way, allowing spark to push down any operations between HANA tables (joins, aggregations, filters) down to the HANA SQL/Calc engines.

Next step, you can explore more complex scenarios, for example, imagine you have a data set spamming through HANA & HDFS. You might have for example some new customers coming through HANA-based systems and some new customers entering via Hadoop, and you want to use both customers into a customer scoring algorithm. You could push down the same scoring algorithm/logic to both HANA & HDFS and apply the logic locally instead of moving all data to Spark and apply the logic centrally.

That's all possible with HANA Vora.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello thank you so much.. I have heard about about the HANA Vora but we have an issue ..we are working with Cloudera and it supports spark 1.3 whereas vora works with spark 1.4 onwards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yashi.

Your background is more development related, so is a bit hard to identify a topic, that provably will be outdated when you finish writing your thesis.

If I was in your place, i would go for a topic related to SAP HANA performance. (In the end you will have a higher audience for your conclusions )

Regards.

Osvaldo Ferreira

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm attending online courses OpenSAP, SAP BW on erp4students - SAP-Zusatzkurse für Studenten

So i have little background for SAP BW also.

Anything specfic related to SAP HANA performance ??

Regards

Yashi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Take a look at this:

Oracle Database Runs SAP Apps Faster Than HANA

Oracle Database In-Memory vs SAP HANA benchmark results (Exadata Partner Community - EMEA)

There is a debate currently going on. You thesis could help clarify this or clarify a specific point related to this.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no real debate. It has been proven Oracle has used non-oficial releases for those benchmarks, having built the DB specifically optimized for the queries they knew it was going to be tested against.

I don't even know why they still insist to compare HANA performance with Oracle's.

I'd rather do something related to Hadoop & specially Spark. It's definitely the way moving forward. Focusing on HANAxOracle is looking backwards.