cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain change with SWPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I need to change the Windows domain of several SAP systems we have (Win 2008 and 2012).

The “old” procedure is to install it at the new domain and do a homogenous system copy. However according to Note 1233320 the SWPM is capable of doing the domain move itself with the option system rename.

Does anyone has already experiences with this procedure and can say some things about hidden pitfalls I can probably avoid or how long the runtime is?

The documentation of this feature is imho very bad. I do not find any good information about it. SAP redirects always to the SWPM rename help pages but there is no word about domain changes.

For example I don’t know if the restrictions of the SAP rename features also apply for the domain change (for example no MCOD systems).

Many thanks in advance,

Florian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Florian.

As per the SAP Note 1233320 we change the standalone SAP system one to another domain.

there no issues its a starting forward method.

I think in this case you have to follow the SAP Standard system copy method to change the new domain. have you referred the SAP Note 1619720?

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

the problem with the Note 1619720 is that it is only for renaming. The domain change is not mentioned in a single word there. For me it looks like the Note never was updated to reflect the possibility of doing domain changes.

Can you give me an estimation on how long such a domain change takes? Do we talk about minutes or hours? My "fear" is that the SWPM then tries to export/import the database as when you change the SID but this souldn't be needed for a domain change.

Regards,

Florian

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Due to a project change we don't need a domain change now. So I can't give an estimation on how long such a domain change will last.

tanks for your time and thoughts

Florian

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Florian,

As you are not going to change the SID of your system, the SWPM was not supposed to touch the database like renaming the system. Therefore, the process is to be faster, even if this is a big database.

Regards,
Henrqiue Girardi

SAP Product Support

former_member186845
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Florian,

I strongly recommend you downloading the System Rename Guide, that can be found at:

http://www.service.sap.com/sltoolset ->

Software Logistic Toolset 1.0 ->

[Scroll down the page] System Provisioning ->

System Rename: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 / 7.0 EHPs

System Rename: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.3 and Higher

Download the guide according to the SAP Netweaver your system is based on.

In the guide you can find section 3.5 Changing the Windows Domain. I believe it will contain all information that you are looking for.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Henrqiue Girardi

SAP Product Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique,

I already read these documents. The preparation steps are clear to me. However can you give me a short assumption on how long this will take? Will it be like a "normal" system rename (hours at big databases) or just a matter of a few minutes?

best regards,

Florian

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Try it on a sandbox and let us know

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I can’t test it as the environment will be installed in a few weeks. It seems that there is no much knowledge available about this way of changing the domain.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Florian.

Refer the SAP System Rename guide from following SAP link(Require SAP S-User id)

SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

Regards

SS