Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

built-in SQL-function instr(arg, sub): type issue

johannes_gilbert
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

When using the built-in function instr() in an ABAP CDS view I face the issue that specifying a character literal that could also be a numeric literal result in a compilation error: "Funktion INSTR: Parameter an Position 2 hat den falschen Datentyp NUMC" Translated into english it would be like 'function INSTR: parameter at position 2 has the wrong data type NUMC'. The CDS view is defined as follows:

@AbapCatalog.sqlViewName: 'z_test_jg3'
@AbapCatalog.compiler.compareFilter: true
@AccessControl.authorizationCheck: #CHECK
@EndUserText.label: 'test 2'
define view Z_Test3 as select from vbak {
  //Key
  key vbak.vbeln as SalesDocument,
  instr(vbak.vbeln, '50') as test
}

As you can see literal '50' is used. If I change the literal to e.g. ' 50' or 'a50' is error is gone (of course). However, field vbeln of table vbak does only contain numeric values. Thus, the intention of this statement is to check if the vblen contains string '50'. Is there any possibility to either indicate that '50' should be interpreted as character literal? Or is there any other possibility or work-around?

Best Regards,

Johannes

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

johannes_gilbert
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

An easy way to bypass this issue is to use the following definition instead:

@AbapCatalog.sqlViewName: 'z_test_jg3'
@AbapCatalog.compiler.compareFilter: true
@AccessControl.authorizationCheck: #CHECK
@EndUserText.label: 'test 2'
define view Z_Test3 as select from vbak {
  //Key
  key vbak.vbeln as SalesDocument,
  instr(replace(vbak.vbeln, '0', 'a'), '5a') as test
}

Via this chained function usage at first zeros are replaced by some single, non-numeric character (you could also replace another number value). Secondly, function instr() could be used as initially intended. Note: Function replace() will need additional runtime. However, as I just needed to get this working and my code is neither performance ciritial nor there are other backdraws for my use-case, this is a fine solution for me.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Johannes

Can you try assigning '50' to a variable type NVARCHAR and then use that variable in instr function ?

Something like.,   lv  := '50' ;

instr(vbak.vbeln, lv)

Cheers

Anindya

johannes_gilbert
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Please be a bit more precise how this usage of an variable could be used in the initially posted CDS view.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I saw videos for CDS with Input Parameters, did  not test myself through .

How to create ABAP CDS Views with Input Parameters on SAP HANA - YouTube

Easier way could be using a SUBSTRING function to convert '50'  to character format before using in Instr function.

Like, Lars  I did not get INSTR function , may be a version problem.  I tried that with Replace function and it worked.

Here is my code :

**********************************************************************************

@AbapCatalog.sqlViewName: 'ZSQL_VIEW'

define view ZCDS_TEST

as select from /bic/azbsdoit100 as vbak

{

key vbak.doc_number as SALES_DOC ,

REPLACE (vbak.doc_number,'60', SUBSTRING ('50',1,2)) as test

}

*********************************************************************************************

Can you try instr(vbak.vbeln, SUBSTRING ('50',1,2)) as test and share the result ?

**/bic/azbsdoit100 - this is my BW table, just used an alias vbak for this.

Cheers

Anindya

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

After checking the documentation for

I don't find INSTR() to be a supported SQL function.

In fact the SAP HANA expression editor for the information views seems to be the only place where this function is actually officially defined.

Where do you find this to be a supported function?

johannes_gilbert
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

goning via http://help.sap.com/abapdocu_750/en/index.htm --> ABAP Keyword Documentation -> ABAP Dictionary -> ABAP CDS in ABAP Dictionary -> ABAP CDS Entities -> ABAP CDS DDL Statements -> ABAP CDS DEFINE VIEW -> ABAP CDS SELECT -> ABAP CDS SELECT Predefined Functions -> ABAP CDS sql_functions -> ABAP CDS String Functions

there, this function is listed.

Best,

Johannes

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And are you running this on a NW 7.5 system?

As this is the HANA forum you might be better off looking for help in the ABAP related spaces...