Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport management in Solution Manager without integration to Charm

balazs_rajnai
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We would like to use Solution Manager to be a Transport Management tool, where users can release, approve, create transports etc. In the first wave we would not like to integrate it to CRs or Incidents via Charm. Is there a possibility to activate and use Solman for this? Based on my research i found that maybe Quality Gate Management can be a solution to this. Can you please advise whether it is a good approach or is there another recommended way to implement transport management without implementing Incident Management and Change Request management?

Best regards,

Balázs

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Balazs

first of all Change Management area/module of Solution Manager brings upon

ChaRM

QGM

Retrofit etc

but all the independent and can be implemented without any depedency

yes you can implement it without any integration with ChaRM or QGM controlling all the transports of your landscape using solution manager

In the SAP trainings normally it is covered that how you can do this but it is simple to achieve.

Without QGM or ChaRM will loose lot of benefits but still you can use it for transport management

i hope this answer ur query that this is possible

Thanks

Prakhar

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

It is also possible to use Change Documents (document type SMMJ) in Solution Manager, to do all of the following:

- To be able to approve transports through certain approval matrix through the entire landscape(Dev-->Qas-->Prod), so managers/leads can approve the transports prior releasing it

- Perform conflict checks/downgrade checks

- Perform retrofit

- Attach test results from Dev/Qas systems or at least a link that directs to the test results

This can be done without implementing Incident Management and Change Request management.

However, since I'm unsure what's making you shy of ChaRM, I can't tell you whether or not you'd have similar issues with using Change Documents. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balazs,

We had a similar requirement a couple of years ago.

We used the Task List (/TMWFLOW/PROJ) as a starting point for all TR-related activities.

(Lead)Developers were creating the TRs, Lead-Developers were releasing the TRs, Basis Team was importing them.

Advantages were a single transaction for all TR-Tasks for all users.

It's possible to authorize on tasklist task level, so no one was able to make wrong activities.

Disadvantage was that the calender overview was listing all executed & planned tasks - after ~3 month, it took quite a while to open the transaction.

But that was enough time to a) get the users used to a single starting point and b) set up the first release of Charm.

Regards,

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

TMS is the basic/underlying tool that is used for transports in an SAP system. Charm is just a CRM  application built on top of TMS to provide more features.

So if you do not use charm then you will not be able to:

1.Create approval/process steps.

2.Create/Release transport requests in target system from  solution manager.

3.Check critical objects in a TR.

What you can do without charm :

1.Import requests in target system from solution manager.

2.Use quality gate for testing control.

3.Control transport setting in target systems.

So first list out what all are you wanting to achieve by integrating solution manager with other systems.

Anyways in order to integrate you need to :

1.Create a domain link between solution manager system and domain controller of target landscape.

2.Create maintenance project in solar_project_admin and add logical component of target system.

3.Add IMG project of target system to current maintenance project.

4.Activate Quality Gate(if you want to use) and CTS.

I domain link is setup properly then you will be able to import all requests from solution manager.

These are not very detailed steps but incase you find any issues let me know.

Thanks

Best Regards

Robin

balazs_rajnai
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the responses so far. What we would like to achive in Solution Manager:
- To be able to approve transports through certain approval matrix through the entire landscape(Dev-->Qas-->Prod), so managers/leads can approve the transports prior releasing it

- Perform conflict checks/downgrade checks

- Perform retrofit

- Attach test results from Dev/Qas systems or at least a link that directs to the test results

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

As mentioned, it is possible to manage your transports

incase of doc. you can't attach to a TR as in solman for this you have a CD(normal/urgent) change to attach it for test results or link etc in standard functionality itself or similarly recording of approval etc. within RfCs.

of course, there are some consulting possible with alternative options that can support above as well but I would say you can have all above easily met

hope this ans your query

thanks

Prakhar

balazs_rajnai
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you Prakhar, i'll leave the discussion open for further suggestions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balazs,

The answers to your expectations from solman are mentioned below in same order:

1.Approval process is already there as part of TMS. Read about QA approval procedure in TMS and you will get what you want. But here in order to approve the TR, the approver has to logon to the system you identify as quality system.

2.Not possible without CharRM.

3.Not possible either.

4.Link can be added in the documentation part of the transport request.

Thanks.

Best Regards

Robin