cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Result Set Limited to 500.000 cells although BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX is configured higher

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

using DS 1.5 SP1 in local mode on SAP BW 7.31 I execute a simple application whith just one crosstab.

I have a breakpoint in function module BICS_PROV_GET_RESULT_SET at line 86, close before comment "* Result set size". The function module checks the result set size (= number of cells) against the parameter I_MAX_DATA_CELLS.

In my case, I_MAX_DATA_CELLS is 500.000, which seems a default value for me.

But in addition, I have set the safety belt parameter BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX in table RSADMIN to 1.500.000.

I would assume, that Design Studio is considering the value specified through BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX!

Any idea, why it is not doing so? Is this somewhere configured/changeable?

When checking with Analysis for Office 1.4 and maintaining the user specific setting for parameter ResultSetSizeLimit = -1 in the file system, the value from BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX is considered correctly.

Best regards,

Philipp Hinnah

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Philipp,

there was an issue in DS 1.4 that the volume of 500.000 cells is hardcoded but in DS 1.5 that should work.

You can set the limit in BW using the items you already had mentioned and you can configure the limit on the BusinessObjects Server as well. When executing on the platform the lower amount will get used first.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

obviously, it does not work when I execute in local mode:

The screenshot shows the debugger stopping at the line, where the "safety belt" is actually checked in BICS_PROV_GET_RESULT_SET. As you can see, the value is 500.000, altough the setting in RSADMIN is 1.500.001:

Regards,

Philipp Hinnah

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Philipp,

did you check for example to execute the BEx query in BEx Analyzer / Analysis Office or for example to run the query in transaction RSRT and do go beyond the configured limit in RSADMIN and does the limit get checked ?

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

as I wrote in my very first post, I checked with AO 1.4. The limit set in RSADMIN is taken, if I don't overrule it with AO specific settings in my file system.

I don't want to check with RSRT / BEx Analyzer, because I am only interested in BICS interface.

Regards,

Philipp

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Philipp,

I only suggested to test it in RSRT because it excludes all clients and tests it in pure BW and when the safety belt is configured correct then you should be able to use 1.5 million cells in BEx Web or RSRT - just a simple test.

if you see the limit not been used in DS - perhaps open the support case with SAP then.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

in RSRT - when executing with mode "HTML" or "List" the safety belt is NOT checked as far as I know.

I ran a test in RSRT with the safety belt set to a very low value, e. g. 30 cells. The report still gets executed in RSRT with no error/warning message. The same time, I also had a SQL and table buffer trace active. There was no access to RSADMIN with search string "BICS*".

I assume, that safety belt is only relevant for BEx Web and BICS-based BI clients.

Regards,

Philipp

0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

I tested the safety belt in RSRT and on the portal, using one of the dashboard queries and found the following:

- No safety belt limit being used in RSRT or the portal for the BW on HANA dashboard queries.

- Current BW report queries (based on HANA database) utilize the safety belt limit as expected.

In our case it seems that when you use HANA calculation views, and propagate these through a composite provider into BW, the BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT is ignored.

Any ideas why this may be?

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Philipp,

the safety belt existed before BICS was used and it applies to any client accessing the Bex query

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

that to me sounds like a bug and you should open a support case.

Do you see the safety belt being used on "standard" InfoProvider / Query combination?

regards

Ingo Hilgefort

0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

Yes I tried a 'standard' non-HANA based Info-provider and query (similar to what exists in our production environment), and this hits the safety belt as expected.

I agree it certainly sounds like a bug, I'll raise an OSS message and see what the outcome is.

Many Thanks!
Phil

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not believe the BICS safety belt existed prior to NetWeaver 2004s (aka 7.0) - Prior to that release, the BEx Web presentation framework was ABAP-based, versus Java-based.  Because ABAP runtime pre-dated BEx Web Java runtime and BI Consumer Services interface, I do not believe older BEx client runtimes such as the 'ABAP Web', or 'BEx Analyzer 3.x' (now obsoleted anyway) recognize the safety belt parameter.  Perhaps in BW 7.4 this has changed, but my experience has been that older BEx clients as mentioned do not recognize thus do not honor the safety belt setting.

I just want to raise that, as some of the options in RSRT will still trigger the old clients such as ABAP Web.

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Mike, I fully agree on that!

@Ingo: You can test this on your own by setting very low values for the aforementioned RSADMIN parameters (e. g. a value of 20) and then simply run a query with in RSRT in HTML-Mode, which produces more than 20 cells and check, whether you get an error message relating to the safety belt.

former_member201696
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I had the same problem and i found out that the limitation of BW in the RSADMIN not work.

In the CMC you have two setting to change the Limitation.

1. CMC-Server APS Server setting of Server

2. CMC-Server APS Server Parameter of Server

Please try this one.

BR

Gabriel

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I didn't say that the safety belt came for BW 3.5 - it started with BW 7.0.

you can see it here:

1127156 - Safety belt: Result set is too large

came with BW 7.0.

yes I have seen RSRT honouring the limit.

the reason why I mentioned that its not just about BICS - example the public BAPI would also honor it.

regards

Ingo

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Non-BICS interfaces such as MDX (for OLAP Universes as an example) which could arguably be called at one time a public BAPI-based interface, (if that mattered), along with pre-BW 7.0 BEx runtimes do not honor the BICS safety belt setting.

Anecodatly, on the topic of MDX, there was once upon a time hard-coded 1-million row limit but that was it.  I know this because we had to get SAP to remove it.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gabriel,

there are two places to configure it when you integrate with the BI Platform

CMC and BW. which ever is the lower values - that would kick in first.

regards

Ingo

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lets agree to disagree

OLAP Universes were not "honoring" it because it was bypassed.

Ingo

Karol-K
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Philipp,

do you execute the app in BIP or in local mode (even connected to BIP). in local mode the parameters are taken from eclipse ini file as vm params.

what you cna try..

you should also adjust the size in RSADMMIN on BW side, see the BW admin guide

https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012002523100018517772015E/ds_16_admin_nw_en.pdf

chapter 5.4 Setting RSADMIN Parameters for Analysis Applications.

basically, in best case you have same value in all of them:

1)

AAD_BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_D

AAD_BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_M

2)

BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF

BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX

3)

the setting in BIP

if you still see then that the value on BW is incorrect in this input parameter, this looks like an issue.

Karol

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Aha! Thanks Karol for this info!

Where do I find that INI-File exactly?

Best regards,

Philipp Hinnah

Karol-K
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the parameter must be in the SapDesignStudio.ini file which is located in "c:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Design Studio\".

The notation is:

-D<PARAMETER>=<VALUE>

e.g.

-DBICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF=1000000

Regards, Karol

0 Kudos

Hi,

It looks like we are having a very similar issue using Design Studio 1.5 SP2 with a BW (7.4) on HANA (SP08 Rev 85) system.

BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF and BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX are set in BW, however you can still display extreme quantities of data that are far in excess of limits set.

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Phil,

are you connecting to BW or are you connecting to HANA from Design Studio ?

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

I am connecting to BW.

0 Kudos

Hi Ingo,

We are making the connection via BW.

Regards,

Phil

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

just figured out, that the same effect occurs when executing on the BI platform.

But this might be related to configuration of the BI platform as described in chapter 5.3.6 in the Admin Guide for DS 1.5 SP1:

https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012002523100011445262015E/ds_15SP01_admin_bip_en.pdf

EDIT on 27.1.16:

Configuring the maximum cells for the result set on the BI platform, e. g. to 1.500.000 successfully gets propagted to the BW system with the same value, when executing the DS applications on the BI platform.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't quote me on this, but my impression is that BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_MAX is specific to Analysis Office/BEx Web 7.0 runtime, and not to Design Studio or other BICS clients.  I thought only BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF applied.

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, actually I also had BICS_DA_RESULT_SET_LIMIT_DEF set too 😉

So I have them both in RSADMIN. But none of them is considered.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think there's also a Safety Belt parameter on the BusinessObject Platform side you might need to look at.  Check the APS running your MDAS server.

EDIT: Nevermind - You said you are in Local Mode.  Hmm.

PH
Participant
0 Kudos

Yep... just found out... hadn't seen your post due to browser not refreshing 😉