cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTPS Receiver adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All, I have a problem understanding how FTPS protocol works in SAP PI 7.11.

I need to send an encrypted file to an external party using FTPS protocol. Aditionally, External party is requiring to use SSL as Transport Security and PGP or X.509 as Payload Security. Besides is requesting me to send my public SSL certificate and PGP or X.509 key for payload encryption.

Do I need to do something else besides to select "FTPS for control and data connection" to establish transport security SSL?? How I export the public SSL certificate in order to send to my external party?

If I want to encrypt a file, Is it enough with selecting "Use X.509 Certificate for Client Authentication"  or this option is not for encrypting files?

If the answer is no to the previous question. What I have to do to encrypt my file using x.509 or PGP?

Thanks in advanced for your replies.

Kind regards,

Joan Llaully

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joan

There are basically 3 different areas to your question.

i) FTPS is basically FTP over SSL/TLS which is analogous to HTTPS (HTTP over SSL/TLS). If the external party is hosting the FTPS server, then they need to send to you their public SSL certificate and you need to import the Root CA cert into TrustedCA view in your NWA key storage. This is in order to achieve mandatory server authentication for FTPS. Refer to the following blog on configuration of the FTPS protocol.

ii) Client authentication is an optional feature. It basically means you can use a certificate to "represent" yourself when logging in to the FTPS server, instead of the common user/password approach. If the external party's requirement is to use client authentication, then you need to provide your public X.509 certificate for them to import into their server.

iii) Encryption of the file content via PGP is independent of the transport protocol (i.e. FTPS in your case). Encryption is achieved using Adapter modules in the communication channel. Your PI 7.11 system needs to be on at least SP08 in order to install the Secure Connectivity Add on that contains the PGP module. Refer to the following on how to use the encryption module.

You need to encrypt based on the external partner's public PGP key, so they need to share that with you. Only if they require PGP signature when you encrypt, then you need to also share your public PGP key with the partner.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you require more information.

Rgds

Eng Swee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eng, your reply was very helpful, now I am doing some test and I'm getting this generic error: "Peer certificate rejected by ChainVerifier".

As I could research, the more probably cause is the way is installed the certificate (this task was not done by me)

Could you give me more clarity how I have to install certificates? By the way, my certificate has a CA chain.

I am a little confused between public SSL certificate  and Root CA cert and where have to be installed each one.

Kind regards,

Joan Llaully

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joan,

You can download Root CA certificate and import it into NWA TrustedCA key storage view.

Run XPI Inspector using example 50 (XI Channel) then you will have option to download the certificates from there.

Regards,

Praveen.

JaySchwendemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

, having some deja vu here, now you're taking the patience to write Great thread post.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joan

My post below has more details. It is for HTTPS (SSL over HTTP) but conceptually it applies for FTPS too.

In summary, the CA chain will have a Root CA. This Root CA cert has to be installed in TrustedCA keystore as mentioned by Praveen above as well as my post.

Regards

Eng Swee

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Deja vu? You mean a glitch in the Matrix? We all better get out of here fast!

Answers (0)