cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analytic and Attribute Views to be obsolete?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a question. I heard that SAP recommends to move to calculation views and is planning to deprecate Analytic and Attribute Views in future? Can anyone help me understand the rationale behind this?

Is this only to align to the roadmap of SAP or does it have any performance impact as well?

Regards,

Piyush

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I am well aware of the differences and use case of different views.

What I want to know:

Is there any performance impact which is planned or already there? If it is only to simplify the development then it would be a bit tricky to explain to the clients about this change.

Regards,

Piyush

Prabhith
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello ,

This is my viewpoint:

We have different engines like SQL,OLAP,JOIN, CALC engine and so on, and there has been confusion around the type of engines that runs behind when we utilize the views.

To avoid all level of confusions, the way forward is to have only one view and that is a calculation view.

This is clear from the Web Based Development Workbench screen shot (as shown below), where u can see only Calculation view available.

Also,we now have all the modelling capabilities within the Calculation view.

a) Dimension

b) Cube

c) Star Join

Quickly I am not able to recollect any links to the Standard SAP Documents.

Will try to post here if I come across anything...

BR

Prabhith

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Piyush

This is in my opinion :

When HANA first came in the market, it had 3 views , namely Attribute, Analytic and Calculation.

"General" recommendation was to create Analytic View for performance reasons .  If that is not sufficient to model a business scenario ,  use of calculation views was recommended. And for master data object, Attribute View was recommended .

But then a lot of changes has happened.  Now , we get new features in calculation view like  ,

1. Star Join

2. Execute In "SQL Engine"

3. Rank Node etc .

4. Expression Editor

Hope some more would come soon

Along with the new features and capability of using SQLScript ( for Script Based Calc View) , all types of information views has been consolidated to Calculation View .  So, other two types are deprecated, although still you can use them.

Cheers

Anindya

Akshay_Bhandari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Can you please share the roadmap link where it has been stated that "SAP recommends to move to calculation views and is planning to deprecate Analytic and Attribute Views "

It will be of great help..

Many Thanks

Akshay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

Here is my understanding. When you observe when creating calculation view with newer HANA Studio Version,  View type drop down has below 3 options.

Attribute View

Analytical View

Calculation View

So my assumption is SAP rolling up all 3 views functionality into Calculation View. If we want to create Attribute view, Going forward we will create Calculation view of type Attribute View and similarly for Analytical view. 

Regards,

Kotesh         

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>" If we want to create Attribute view, Going forward we will create Calculation view of type Attribute View and similarly for Analytical view. "

Kotesh,  above is not true.

If you choose Attribute View from the drop down, it would create attribute view only and so on .

Like, you can right click ---> choose Calculation View -----> and then Choose Attribute/Analytic view.

It would result in attribute/analytic view.

Cheers

Anindya