Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMA-DM in Afaria

former_member222084
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello experts.

Does Afaria support  OMA -DM? Is it used only for Windows or for  others devices too (Android, iOS)?                                                                     

I would like to learn more about the interaction OMA –DM and Afaria 7.

Also.

In Android, iOS devices the Afaria client installed by downloading from  Google Play or App Store.

However, Windows devices have a built-in client. Does this client (service) have a name?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Olga,

No OMA-DM is not supported in Afaria 7.  OMA-DM is the old Nokia operating system and they haven't actually shipped any of these devices in years.   It is neither windows or Android.   It was a proprietary operating system. 

For part two are you speaking of Windows Phone or 32 bit clients?

Tracy Barkley

Sr. Technical Support Engineer

former_member222084
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Tracy,

Thanks for your help.

I am interested in the information about Windows Phones. Unfortunately I have no  way to test the  Windows Phone devices, so I don't know if it will be there the Afaria sign.

I know that every Windows 10 device (and also Windows 8.1 device) has  mobile device management client that ships along with the operating system. And the syntax that MDM servers need to use to manage Windows devices using this agent is what we call the Windows Mobile Device Management protocols. There are two such protocols – one governing how a Windows device registers with the server so it can start managing the device called MS-MDE, and the second called MS-MDM governing how an MDM server can send down commands to manage the different settings (and which settings) on the Windows device.

More I work on the Windows MDM client…Ok, is that Intune? - Janani's WebLog - Site Home - MSDN B...

So, what protocols are in Afaria and Windows devices?

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Olga,

I am checking on the protocols for you but there are actually two clients possibly in use with Windows Phone.  The first is the built in MDM client.  This is where you enter your email address and the address of the MDM server.  That client then activates and enrolls the device into Afaria.  If you have your Afaria server set to deliver the actual signed Afaria client, it will download shortly after the enrollment completes.

The devices can still be managed without the Afaria client, but it is required for outbound.  Otherwise the device only connects in on schedule and pulls whatever policies it needs at that time.   If you wanted to outbound and apply policies on demand you will need the Afaria client as well.

Hope this helps,

Tracy

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Olga,

We use both of these protocols to manage devices.   Is that all you needed here?

Tracy

former_member222084
Participant
0 Kudos

Tracy,

Can I know more about the interaction between the client and  Afaria?

May be  the architecture of the enrollment.

Our IT Administrator asked how the built-in client communicates with  Afaria Server.

Is this client calls the process of the operating system or something else?

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Olga,

Basically when you run the basic client you are providing the address of the server it will be connecting to.  It reaches out to the MDM server (the Afaria server) and provides Afaria its information (email address) and the client gets whatever configuration Afaria is set up to give. That is about all that happens.  I am not sure exactly what details you  are looking for?  The client merely calls on basic MDM functionality alreday present on the phone.

Tracy

former_member222084
Participant
0 Kudos

Tracy,

Thank you.

When you say "the basic client" you mean "built in MDM client"?

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Olga,

Correct.

Tracy

Answers (0)