cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Appstore disabled, Appstore App updates. Afaria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My question is regarding restriction function in Afaria.

If I disable the Apple Appstore on an iOS 9 device with theAllow installing apps using Apple Configurator and iTunes " restriction function,it is possible to deploy nevertheless Appstore Apps via Afaria.

But how are Appstore App updates handled? Because the Appstore symbol is totally gone on the homescreen.

Do I have to enable the appstore first?

Thanks and best regards

Michael

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michael,

As per your description, I understand that you have setup a restriction policy to disable/not to use the App store on the device.

However, even the App Store is disabled on the device the app store apps get updates as these updates are being pushed through the apple website but not the app store which is disabled on the device.

Moreover, we can restrict the device to not to use the apple app store by the user however couldn't restrict the updates pushed though Apple site to the device.

Hope this helps you to clear your queries.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sushmitha,

Thanks! if I understand you correct, App Updates are automatically pushed to the devices then when available, right?

So the user has no option to use the old version anymore when a new one is released?

BR

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

When an update has been pushed to an app on the device, the app stays on the older version until the user upgrade it manually. Moreover, app will not be upgraded automatically without user intervention, all you can see is only the update available on the app and it is the user decision to upgrade it or not.

Hope this clears.

Cheers,
Sushmitha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sushmitha,

Thanks, but just for my understanding, that means the user is notified about the update?how? If yes, how is the behavior on the device when the appstoe is disabled? What exactly has the users to do? Do we have to enable the appstore for the update?

Sorry I know there are a lot of questions, but this is a very interessting topic for us.

Thanks again and best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michael,

I just quickly tested on my iOS device by pushing the restriction policy to disable the App Store. Once the App Store is disabled through Afaria, the icon is deleted on the device automatically and the App Store sits in settings->Restrictions in disabled mode.

Well for the iOS devices if the App Store or iTunes Store is disabled, the apps DO NOT receive any updates on the device. In order to get the updates back to the apps we should enable the App store again.

Hope this clears.

Cheers,
Sushmitha