Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

content_vendor usage

Bruhn
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was wondering - what the purpose is/will be of the parameter content_vendor which is used/seen when creating delivery units? does any one know?

I mean is it purely for information or does it have a more significant role also - e.g. during updates etc?

In a current system which I am working on - it has been set to sap.com (even though it is not an sap company delivering the content) in this case is it better to set it to the real company (company.com) ?

Thanks

/MiB

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael.

Hope this litle text from SAP can help:

"A delivery unit is a collection of packages that are to be transported together.

You assign all the packages belonging to your application to the same delivery unit to ensure that they are transported consistently together within your system landscape. Each delivery unit has a unique identity.

The identity of a delivery unit consists of two parts: a vendor name and a delivery-unit name. The combined ID ensures that delivery units from different vendors are easy to distinguish and follows a pattern that SAP uses for all kinds of software components.

To create and manage delivery units you first need to maintain the identity of the vendor, with whom the delivery units are associated, and in whose namespace the packages that make up the delivery unit are stored.

This means: Before creating a delivery unit, the content_vendor parameter in indexserver.ini file must be defined."

Regards.

Osvaldo

Bruhn
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Osvaldo,

and thanks - You saying that as long as it is unique then we are ok - I get that.

In the case where we are using sap.com(with out being sap) should we then rather chose our own and set the content_vendor to company.com ?

if we use sap.com could we run into problems later on ?

/MiB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

You shouldnt have any problem if you mantain sap.com. But the purpose of this parameter is to add valuable info to the delivery_unit.

For example in the future, when someone new verify´s the delivery unit´s can be misled.

See this as, Maintaining Delivery Units best practices for sap hana

Maintaining Delivery Units - SAP HANA Developer Guide for SAP HANA Studio - SAP Library

Regards.

Osvaldo.

Answers (0)