cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically add material B when material A is added to sales order?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to configure a material determination that associates material A with material B such that when material A is added to a sales order, the same quantity of material B should be added to the order as a sub-item of the material A item.

It seems to work when I add material A with a "stock" item category. However, when I add material A with a "non-stock, order from vendor" item category, it doesn't add the sub-item of material B. Instead, it displays the message "Quantity of 1 EA remains after product selection (item 000010)".

I've gone into SPRO > Sales and Distribution > Sales > Sales Documents > Sales Document Item > Assign Item Categories and made sure that there are records for usages PSEL, PSHP, PSA1, and PSA2 for each of the "non-stock, order from vendor" item categories.

Now that I'm reading more about material determination, I'm thinking that either 1) I'm misunderstanding about the sub-items that are determined, or 2) it's just not designed to work with non-stock materials.

Is a sub-item a material that would be included along with the main item, or is it just intended to show what's being substituted for the main item?

The whole purpose of trying to set this up is for selling remanufactured parts and handling the associated cores that the customer would return. We'd like to automatically add the associated core material to an order when we add a remanufactured part. However, all of the remanufactured parts have to be ordered from the vendor: we don't keep them in stock.

I've started looking at the possibility of using a BOM (Bill Of Material) for the reman / core combination, but it looks like BOM's are used for production orders, and we wouldn't be producing these, just purchasing them.

It seems like it would be similar to free item determination, but the core materials wouldn't be free: there's a cost and price associated with them.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions and / or insights. Thank you!

Glenn

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've made a decision about how to proceed.

First, it does look like material determination can be used to add a sub-item as an actual second material that would automatically be added to the order. However, we never could get it to populate the storage location on the sub-item, and the sub-item couldn't be manually updated, so we were stuck.

Fortunately for us, we really just need this to work in our custom t-code that we use for creating sales orders, and we can populate the storage location in the custom code.

We considered using BOM's, but since we're not using them for anything else, and since this would not be needed for very many of our sales orders, we decided that the overhead of setting up and maintaining the BOM's wouldn't be worth the benefit of taking that approach.

Thanks Saikat and Shyam for your suggestions!

Glenn

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

shyamsumar
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Glenn,

You can create a BOM for sales in Transaction code CS01 with Usage 5 - Sales.

For the sub-item, copy the schedule line category CS which will create a purchase requisition.

Let me know if it works to your requirement.

Regards,

Shyam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

I created a BOM as a test. I couldn't see where to do what you suggested regarding copying the schedule line category.

When I added the BOM material number to an order, it didn't explode to show the subitems, and I couldn't find where to configure it to do so.

Glenn

shyamsumar
Explorer
0 Kudos

Please go through below link for BOM issue :

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-46293

Regarding Schedule line-

SCHEDULE LINE CAT determination  in ITEM OF A sales document is done via following rule

item category+mrp type=schedule line category

TAN               +PD          =CP

Item category determination  in sales document is done via following rule

sales document type+item categorygroupusage+higher level item cat=item cat det in sales doc

OR                              +       NORM                                                                       =TAN

Read more : What is Schedule Line Category and how to define it

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sir,

Make B item as additional in material master in basic data-2 view and it will come automatically in sale order.

defination of additional as per SAP.

Additionals are assigned to materials for sale to ensure effective sales presentation or to support logistics as a service.

An additional has a separate material master and represents either a material (for example, ticket) or a service (for example, pressing clothing for display).

Example

• Materials
  • Tickets (price labels for customers)
  • Care labels
  • Security tags
  • Swing tickets
  • Clothes hangers
  • Packaging, in particular for private labels

saikat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Saikat,

Thank you for the suggestion. We're going to need to be able to charge for the additional material and return the additional material. I don't think this would work with additional materials.

Glenn