Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS migration from HP-Ux to SUSE Linux

sudip_saha1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to go with OS migration of our SAP systems. Our existing SAP systems are HP-Unix with Oracle 11g and we would like to go with VMware SUSE Linux with Oracle 12C as target. Although it is not DB migration.

So my question is what is the best tool will be used for this purpose, like sapinst, DMO, expdp/impdp etc. Also if anyone done this before then can you please guide me which document will be the best document to start with. I am not sure if it is the exact correct forum for OS/DB migration. If not please let me know if there is any forum for OS/DB migration.

Regards,

Sudip

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor

Hi Sudip.

You have to perform two different one DB upgrade and OS / DB Migration.

1. First you can migrate the OS / DB using SAP Standard method Heterogeneous system copy method.Refer the SAP system copy guide SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder

2. After Migrated you can perform the DB upgrade based on you SAP version. Before that Kindly check the SAP PAM http://support.sap.com/PAM.

Regards

SS

sudip_saha1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. We will be using SWPM for OS migration and I think we have only one option of SWPM for OS migration in our case. Can you please let me know whether NZDT (non Zero Downtime Option) covers in SWPM. I know SUM DMO covers NZDT as SUM upgrade system. But we would like to know for SWPM.

Regards,

Sudip

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> So my question is what is the best tool will be used for this purpose, like sapinst, DMO, expdp/impdp etc

SAPINST is outdated and is replaced with SWPM. Kindly use the latest SWPM tool available in SMP. Refer System Copy guides for the same.

>> Can you please let me know whether NZDT (non Zero Downtime Option) covers in SWPM

nZDM option is only available in SUM Tool.

regards,

pavan

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudip.

In your case you have to use the tool SWPM(Heterogeneous system copy method),

SWPM supports the following provisioning scenarios for SAP systems based on SAP NW

1. Installation of new systems, instances, and standalone engines

2. System copy of existing systems

3. Transformation of systems such as via System Rename and Dual-Stack Split

4. Deletion of systems, instances, and standalone engines

Refer the SAP Note 1680045 - Release Note for Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP 09

NZDT - Used on Only for SAP upgrade

Regards

SS

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Madhu-Teklink
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

I heard SAP has come internal migration tool which can do OS/DB migration at nZDT.

Any idea about this tool?