cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Rules with Binding Changes

Former Member
0 Kudos

We made a rule change that required adding a parameter (no changes to the underlying table/view) to the rule.  Promoting this to production does not allow us to move these changes. 

When I create a *new* rule task with only the view that is affected and promote that rule task (which contains all views, tables, bindings, and rules involved in this change), I get the following errors on import for rules that have binding changes:

"Rule signature is different and rule bindings exist. Rule skipped. (UIM-10059)"

"The state of rule <rule_name> does not allow bindings to be applied or imported. Unlock the rule and try again. (UIM-10153) Skipping import of all rule bindings for table <ProjectName>.<view name>. (UIM-10158)"

When I import the entire project, there are no errors during import, but the rules with binding changes are not updated.

All imports are done with "overwrite" checkbox selected.

All rules in both projects (dev and prod) are in "editing" mode and have never been approved, so I don't understand why it suggests tha the state of the rule is "locked"?

What other options are there for promoting rule changes that include binding changes?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to replicate all the rules and projects from production to quality.  I exported the project from production then deleted the quality project in the CMC and re-created it empty, then nothing was skipped.  I asked a colleague and you do have to delete the offending rule(s) in the target IS prior to import, but I have 43 rules out of 400 being skipped, so I just used brute force to save time and my sanity.

This 'working as intended' is not true - I checked the Overwrite... box and I expect it to overwrite the objects no matter what changed.

krishnamohan_corp9
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Hillary,

please find the resolution steps for unlocking the rule.

1. Go to sql server mgmnt studio , open default information steward installation repository. is repo (DB_IS), take back up of table dbo.mmt_rule

2. edit mmt_rule table by executing the below command

update dbo.mmt_rule set state = 'A' where is_current_version = 'Y';

now try to import. Importing will be successful

Note: after executing above command rule status will be changed from editing status to approved status

regards

krishna mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for the response, we'll try this on Monday and I'll report back with the outcome.

mageshwaran_subramanian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's not a good practice to update the repository tables manually. I would suggest to approve the problematic rule in all the projects it's being used , before the export and import. That might help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree, Magesh, but since the import/export process is so finicky, sometimes there is no other choice.

For the solution listed here, changing the state manually from 'E' to 'A' simply moves the rule from Editing to Approved status, which is not what we want (we purposely do not want to approve rules because of the limitations on development) so this did not solve the update problem.

I found a SAP note that lists this exact problem with the following re-creation steps:

Reproducing the Issue

1.) Rule already exists in the Target environment.
2.) Rule/Rule binding/task is dropped (deleted) in the Source environment.
3.) Rule recreated in the Source environment (with same name) and with a different binding and a task recreated/rerun.
4.) Rule is then exported at task level from the Source environment and an import is attempted to be done into the Target environment (where a rule with the same name still exists).  The option to Overwrite existing objects and Automatically approve imported rules  are chosen.
5.) This fails to update/import the rule and rule bindings with the following errors in the log:

Rule <rulename> is skipped because the rule signature is different and rule bindings exist. (UIM-10058)
Processing rule bindings...
The state of rule <rulename> does not allow bindings to be applied or imported. Unlock the rule and try again. (UIM-10153)
Failed to import binding of rule Nulls on table <tablename>. Skipping import of this rule binding. (UIM-10143)
Skipping import of all rule bindings for table <tablename>. (UIM-10158)
Processing table <tablename>...
One or more rule bindings did not import correctly.  No rule bindings from the imported file have been applied to <tablename>. (UIM-10157)
Processing tasks...
Could not retrieve information for rule bindings used in this task. (UIM-10205)
Failed to import binding of task <taskname>. Skipping import of this task. (UIM-10201)

However, I'm positive (can see in the repo) that steps #2 and #3 did not occur for this particular rule.  We have submitted a ticket with SAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am running into the same problem.  Export an entire project the rule is in Editing status in the source project and also in Editing status in the target project.  The Rule bindings have changed in the source, but I have 42 rules that won't import into the target due to rule binding changes or parameter changes.  I agree, everything should be left in Editing status due to the issues with changing parameters and bindings once the rule is Approved.

This seems to be a product defect that needs a solution.  BTW, we are on the latest version, SP and patch of IS.

Thanks for any assistance with this show-stopper.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We put in a ticket with SAP on this issue, they replicated the problem and said that it is "working as intended" and the official word is that you are supposed to completely delete the affected bindings & rules (after removing them from the scorecard) prior to importing, so it actually creates a new instance of the rule (new object ID). 

I can't 100% say, but I feel like this wasn't previously an issue, and if you imported a large enough export (something that had bindings & rules, not just the rule) it did completely copy over the rule, but I don't have evidence.

I agree, it is a serious concern that "promotion" does not promote all changes.  I submitted an ideaplace request to fix this issue and another promotion-related issue, please vote for it:

Promotion Enhancement--Deleted Rules, Rules w/Parameter Changes : View Idea