Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating COM/COM+ component server in PowerBuilder classic 12 and above

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are in process of migrating our Power Builder classic code from PB11.5 to 
PB12.6 ,

We have a PB Classic application which builds into COM/COM+ DLL's , being
exposed to and called by third party applications.

I see the functionality of creation of COM/COM+ DLL's is removed in PB12+ ,
This is hampering us from migrating from PB11.5 to PB12.6

Can anyone please suggest an alternative to this.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit;

What your are talking about is the ability for PB to build an OLE Server COM object. Yes, that feature was removed by Sybase in the PB 12.x days I am sad to say and I have no idea why. 

One suggestion I have for now is stay on PB 11.5. The PB product is being turned over from SAP to Appeon Corporation in the near future. I would suggest contacting them and adding this feature requirement or maybe something equivalent as an enhancement feature request.

Another alternative (instead of .Net that David suggested) is to look at placing your OLE Server code into a Web Service and let your client applications interact with your PB code via WS Calls.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

PS: I feel your pain (PIA).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris for the suggestion ,

Although i was able to get through the problem i was facing by using .net and CCW , i'll also try the option of deploying as Web Service,

and would request appeon for an equivalent enhancement feature.

I'll also caution the clients regarding what appeon will be bringing on PB.net .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, we need to see what Appeon does with PB.Net. The product does not fit in Appeon's toolbox currently IMHO, and I have not seen any of Armeen's presentations mention moving forward with a WPF based IDE. Armeen has mentioned making PB Classic more .Net aware and also developing a new product based on existing PB & Appeon technologies that would be .Net based (at least that is my impression from the webinars thus far). If I have read the direction properly from the webinars, applications built in PB.Net be on a dead end (politically correct - "no exit") road. Hopefully, the next 1-2 webinars will make this PB development path much clearer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit

You could possibly migrate them to PB .NET and deploy them as .NET components for the other applications to use. Not ideal but may get you out of the problem you currently have.

Regards

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David;

A good suggestion but, I would caution Amit not to jump into that direction until we see if PB.Net appears on Appeon's road-map for PB. Right now, both Appeon Web and Appeon Mobile only work with PB Classic. So I am not sure what PB.Net would bring to the Appeon table - moving forward. I guess we'll have to see what Armeen says.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Chris

I was hesitant to suggest it for that reason, but I think that adding the capability to deploy PB objects as .NET class objects does fit with the Appeon strategy.

Although that is all vapourware at the moment.....

Cheers

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks David.

I did the migration to .net deployed the dll,

But since it needed to be called by third party as a COM component ,

i wrapped it by com callable wrapper, as mentioned by bruce in below link,

SAP Sybase Forums - PowerBuilder - PB Futures Discussion - COM/COM+ Components

1. Decompile the assembly using ildasm.

2. Open the generated il file and find the following:

.custom instance void

[mscorlib]System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComVisibleAttribute::.ctor(bool) =

( 01 00 00 00 00 )

3. Change it to read:

.custom instance void

[mscorlib]System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComVisibleAttribute::.ctor(bool) =

( 01 00 01 00 00 )

4. Recompile the assembly using ilasm.

5. Run regasm on the new assembly to generate the registry entries.

This worked for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great stuff. Good job