cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Localization - Translating our SAP ME customizations into another language

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have language files containing the English text for our customizations, in two different Development Components (DCs) -- one for Medtronic-created customizations and one for SAP-CD-created customizations.  In each DC, we have a LocaleSpecificText.properties and an ErrorMessages.properties file.  So we have four files to be translated into French for our operation in Montreal, Canada.

My assumption is that we need to create

• LocaleSpecificText_FR.properties
  • ErrorMessages_FR.properties

in each DC.

Is that correct?

From our perspective, it would be more flexible if these files didn't have to be packaged in with our custom software components.  Ie -- if we could change them directly in the server file system, so that our BASIS folks could install changes more easily.  That way, we could adjust the translation without going through our long process for a "software release".  (Although ... there are some good reasons for that, too ...)

This flexibility is particularly important for property keys that are never hard-coded into java (or jsp) source code.  Examples of this include: 

• Each new Activity that we define in Activity Maintenance (as a copy of some core activity with rule adjustments, for example) will need a new description key.
  • Each new button that we add to a POD in POD Maintenance can have a different description key.

We can live with placing the files into the DCs and releasing them in an SCA.  It's just not ideal for all purposes.

I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but I've searched for quite some time, and can't find it.

Thanks,

Barry

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Barry,

All these files were easily accessible in the file system in ME versions prior 6.0, when it was needed to install ME prior deployment. SAP went away from the installation step for many reasons.

You seem to be right about the files to create. SAP Notes 1498430, 1982590 mentioned some LocaleSpecific steps.

Br, Alex.

Answers (0)