Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refining access to a table

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks,

Is it possible to secure parts of a table so that somebody writing a logical view (NOTE: I'm talking about creating a view via Catalog/Schema/View/Create View INSTEAD of creating a view via content/package/new/(attribute/analytic/calculation)view; so in my case Analytic Privilege does not apply as their is no information model.

For example lets say I allow a user to create a private view in their schema and query <default_schema>.MSEG table.  But because MSEG is huge I only want them to be able to select material document number for example.    This user has <default_schema>_SELECT_USER access.  Now I want to refine that to just a subset of columns.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

-Patrick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick and a Happy New Year!

There is no privilege model in SAP HANA that allows to restrict access to a sub-set of column of tables/views.

Once a user has access to the whole table there is no option to restrict it to a few columns.

Currently (SP11) the only way to do this is - as you said - define views that project only the wanted columns and hide/overwrite/scrambe the unwanted columns.

Cheers,

Lars

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars, Happy New Year right back at you! 

Ok I thought this was the case but figured I had to ask in case there was some unwritten secret somewhere to handle column level.  This whole nightmare is due to Info Steward tool creating temp tables in the source schema that it's querying which makes NO sense to me.  Anyhow I have another post open for that issue.

Also I finally bought your book which I hug every day!  At night when I go to sleep I place it on a golden pedestal adorned with diamonds, encased in bullet proof glass, and protected by a shroud of laser beams.

As always, thanks!

-Patrick

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great! Now I know who the December buyer was...

It might be a bit dated by now, but try reading it too, every once in a while. The inner pages need to breathe for best results

patrickbachmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lol thanks for the tip my friend. 

Answers (0)