cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between aggregation and projection node in Calculation view

0 Kudos

Hi Please explain the exact difference between aggregation and projection node in Calculation view.I have taken many examples but getting same output, I am not able find out the any difference between these nodes. only difference I can find in aggregation node we have option of "add as aggregated column (min,max..)" but How it works for next level and ""When to use projection"". Please reply with simple example including data. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200930
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying my best to explain difference between projection and aggregation in simple words.

Projection : It is use to select data without aggregation. NO Group By Clause. You will get entire dataset for selected columns.

Aggregation : Group by clause will be used here. So, you will get less number of rows in output.

Example :

I have create calculation view using below dummy table.

Modeling using Projection node :

Output of Projection_1 node :
( After activation, right click on Projection_1 node and select Data Preview. Same is applicable to Aggregation_1 node)

Modeling using Aggregation :

Output of Aggregation_1 node :

Conclusion : Using projection, we got 7 rows and using Aggregation, we got 2 rows. So, Using aggregation you are passing less data to another node. So, execution time will be fast.

Note : You will get same output at semantic layer for Projection and Aggregation.

Regards,

Vikram  Divekar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

PROJECTION is only meant for filtering but AGGREGATION is for both filtering and aggregated columns

Best Regards,

Mohammed