cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Cloud SDK : Multi Customer Solution (MCS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have checked we can create Multi Customer Solution (MCS) into Partner Development System. I have some query regarding the solution as well as system. Please help me to clarify or understand.

1) How many Multi Customer Solution (MCS) we can create in Partner Development System ?

2) In Partner Development System Can we create Customer Specific Solution and Solution Template ?

3) If I have created Multi Customer Solution(MCS) into partner development system so can we create Customer Specific solution or Solution template into same system and How many , Is there any restriction to create any type of solution ?

4) Is there any limitations In Multi Customer Solution or its same as customer specific solution?

5) What is difference between Multi Customer Solution and Solution template ?

Please help me to understand my query because I didn't find any document regarding Multi Customer Solution (MCS).

Regards,

Mithun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Mithun,

though I am no expert, I will try to answer as good as I can since we have some MCS in development.

First, please be aware that not you but SAP creates Multi Customer Solutions in your development tenant. They come with a yearly certification fee.

1. I am not aware of any upper limit. But since we have more than one MCS in our development system I'd say "quite a few".
  2. Yes.
  3. I am not aware of any restriction. On our development system we have almost 50 solutions for various customers of all three types.
  4. To me, the limitations of Multi Customer Solutions appear to be similar to the limitations of Customer Specific Solutions.
  5. The answer to this question would fill a blog post or be a separate discussion alone.
    Solution templates come with quite a few additional limitations which MCS and CCS do not have.

1. Solution Templates assemblies can be imported to other solutions.
    Thus have to create a second solution (MCS, CSS or ST) and import the solution template.
    This means you can reuse code for multiple different solutions which have otherwise differing content.
    A MCS can only be deployed to a customer system "as is". I.E. you have a patch and download a MCS assembly. Then you can upload this assembly to a customer tenant but not modify it.
    This means hotfixes need to be made in your MCS master and then transfered to the customer while a solution template copy (usually a customer specific solition) lives on it's own with a separate life cycle.

Furthermore there are a few restrictions to Solution Templates which MCS do not have, here are a few of them:
    In Solution Templates you cannot use the extensibility explorer to enhance SAP standard screens.
    In Solution Templates you cannot create joined and combined data sources.
    In Solution Templates you have to take care of potential incompatible modifications for already deployed copies yourself (since the PDI does take care of this for you).

Best regards,

Ludger Bünger

--

custom development with all4cloud.de

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Ludger Bünger,

Really great explanation for each query.

Regards,

Mithun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludger Bünger,

Can you please help me below few questions:

1) What is prerequisite before create MCS?

2) Do I need to request to SAP via Incident or any other way to do that ?

3) Do you have any document How to do and what to do?

Please help me regarding my above query.

Regards,

Mithun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mithun,

unfortunately -since I were not involved with the MCS creation issues- I am unable to answer your organizational questions.

Please direct these questions to your development coach.

Best regards,

Ludger Bünger

--

Custom cloud development with all4cloud.de

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludger Bünger,

Sure no problem I will check with them.

Regards,

Mithun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludger Bünger,

I have some more questions about MCS.

e.g We have 1 MCS into Partner Development System called "YMCS_DEMO" and

We have below objects included into *YMCS_DEMO"

-> Screen1

-> Screen2

-> Screen3

we have 3 customers (clients) CUSTOMER1 , CUSTOMER2 and CUSTOMER3 contact to us and they want buy created solution "YMCS_DEMO"

CUSTOMER1 want YMCS_DEMO and we have created Installation key for CUSTOMER1 and uploaded into there Production system.

Now CUSTOMER2 want that YMCS_DEMO but with new screen called "Screen4" apart from available screens ( Screen1, Screen2, Screen3 ) Now how to achieve this for CUSTOMER2.

Now CUSTOMER3 want that YMCS_DEMO but with new screen called "Screen5 and Screen6" apart from available screens ( Screen1, Screen2, Screen3 ) Now how to achieve this for CUSTOMER3.

below are the scenario :

CUSTOMER1   CUSTOMER2   CUSTOMER3

Screen1            Screen1             Screen1

Screen2            Screen2             Screen2

Screen3            Screen3             Screen3

Screen4             Screen5

Screen6

Now my questions as below regarding this scenario :

1) When we create any MCS solution how to handle if different requirement coming from different customer?

2) When we create Patch Solution for MCS then that patch solution applicable to all customer or specific customer?

3) When CUSTOMER1 need some changes into MCS and we have created patch and uploaded into CUSTOMER1 system after that CUSTOMER2 want some change into MCS where I need to do changes, In Original MCS or patch version that we have created for CUSTOMER1?

Regards,

Mithun

kumarraj_moorthy
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Mithun,

Here are few comments to clarify your questions.

1. One cannot enhance MCS once it is deployed to the customer's tenant. MCS is meant to implement specific requirements for Multiple customers.

2. The patch is applicable to all the customers using the original MCS.

3. In general, if you are looking for addressing specific requirement of a customer then Customer specific solution is the one to go with. If you want to reuse some functionalities with multiple customers and add specific implementation for each customer then you could think of the Solution template. If you want to implement specific requirements for multiple customers then MCS is the one to go with.

Suggest you to discuss with your SAP partner contact to dicuss your usecase in detail before identifying the type of solution you need to build.

Regards

Kumar Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mithun,

Multi Customer Solutions are not designed to distribute customer specific versions designed only for a specific customer.

Having said that, at some point you have to deliver the complete code to all customers eventually (assuming you dodn not want to leace one customer on an old patch version forever).

Thus to achieve different behaviour you have to use Scoping or other methods of configuration to disable specific features for other customers.

If the requirements differ in such a way that you cannot handle them in one solution (either using scoping or other custom configuration screens/BOs) then Multi Customer Solutions are the wrong tool and Solution Templates in combination with customer specific solutions might be better suited.

Now to answer your question:

1. Differnet requirements coming from different customers need to be delivered to all customers (unless you want to keep a specific customer on an old patch version forever), Thus you might have to disable some features at some customers (via scoping, by not assigning the work centers or using other means).
  2. When you create a patch solution you ususally have control over whether and when you deploy this patch at which customer. However you cannot create branches for specific customers.
  3. Patch management for MCS works different from patch management for CSS as that you do not have two versions in the same development system.
    You have one solution in you development system where you can download and assemble a zip file from. This will close this solution until you re-open it to create a patch. Thus this is equivalent to the solution you do development in using the CSS development aproach.
    The zip file then can be uploaded to various customer tenants. At the customer tenant you only have the following options:
    * upload a specific zip
    * (re-)activate solution.
    So these solutions are not changeable. To deliver changes, you have to open the patch solution in your development system, apply changes, download zip and upload/activate at customer tenant.

I hope this cleared up some questions.

Best regards,

Ludger

--

Custom cloud development with all4cloud.de

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member599795
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Is that possible to create patch of MCS in customer tenant ?

erhantamer
Explorer
0 Kudos

No, you can only update the customers version with a patch created an packed in your development tenant