cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage disk space in hana developer edition

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a Developer Edition HANA instance on Amazon and its version is: 1.00.101.00.1435831484

Below is a screenshot attached for the disk usage:

The disk size of partition /vol/vol_HDB/sysfiles keeps on increasing everyday. Is there a way to clean it up as it has already reached around 86%.

On looking inside /vol/vol_HDB/sysfiles/hana/shared/HDB  we found the following:

13G    data_es

203M    data_streaming

0    download_rdsync

0    es

1.4G    es-16_0_10_1215

15G    exe

20M    federation

1.4G    global

11G    HDB00

755M    hdbclient

253M    hdblcm

633M    hdbstudio

1.6G    hdbstudio_update

32K    lm_structure

11G    log_es

16K    profile

0    rdsync

191M    rdsync-1_00_101_1188

1.5G    streaming

0    upload_rdsync

Is there any way we can safely clean log_es or any other unnecessary files?

TIA

Nikhil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NIkhil,

The data_es and log_es directories are related to dynamic tiering. Did you enable dynamic tiering?

If so, then you shouldn't clean those directories.

-Jake

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the response but i am not aware of dynamic tiering. Can you please explain or provide pointers as to what exactly i need to do. How do i check in hana if it is enabled or not?

Thanks,

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very simply, DT is used to store infrequently accessed data on disk, instead of in memory. You will see an extended store service in HANA studio.

Here is the main page for detailed infoSAP HANA Dynamic Tiering – SAP Help Portal Page

Here is how to uninstall: Uninstall Dynamic Tiering Using hdblcmgui - SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering: Installation and Update Guide ...

I would suggest to backup before making any changes. Also, try renaming the directories to see if it affects the system before completely deleting.

-Jake

Former Member
0 Kudos

An additional clarification - dynamic tiering is not required for a working HANA system.

What are you using this system for? Native hana development? BW on HANA?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

We are using it for native development i.e. storing data, writing stored procedures etc.

So you are suggesting that we should install DT?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

The data_es and log_es directories exist when DT is installed. I'm thinking it was accidentally installed and it could be removed.

It is hard to say without knowing for sure, but it sounds like you didn't intentionally install it. What files are in the data_es and log_es directories?

What services show up in HANA studio?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

Please see above screenshot from HANA Studio. I am also attaching screenshots for data_es and log_es contents below

Please let me know in case any other information is required.

Note: We have deployed SAP HANA Developer Edition using SAP CAL

Thanks

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

Should we try stopping the esserver and then renaming log_es and data_es folders and check if the system is running fine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep. Stopping the service and renaming the folders is the safest method before deleting completely. The esserver shown in the Studio screenshot is the extended store (DT) service.

Couple of relevent links:

Verify that the Dynamic Tiering Service is Running - SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering: Installation and Upda...

Data_es and Log_es Directories Already Exist When Installing SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering - SAP HANA Dyn...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jake,

Stopping the esserver did not work as automatically it gets restarted again and again. I tried running the following command via sql console:

DROP EXTENDED STORAGE

and the size of data_es and log_es went down to 0.

Refer the link below:

Removing Dynamic Tiering from a Tenant Database - SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering Administration Guide - SA...

Answers (0)