cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hana Column views clarification

0 Kudos

Please clarify me about column views. Calculation view can include any combination of tables, column views, attribute views and analytic views.

Here is the question...What is the column views here and what it makes difference including column views in to calculation view, when compare to from the tables and three views.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramana,

Calculation Views, Attribute Views and Analytic Views are Design Time objects that can be created in HANA Studio Modeler Perspective. Once these views are created, they need to saved and activated. Once a view is activated it creates a database view in the folder  _SYS_BIC, this is called a Column View. A column view is a run time object. A column view is saved in the format _SYS_BIC/<PACKAGE NAME>/<VIEW NAME>

Hope this helps. Assign points if useful

Guppy

0 Kudos

Hi Ganapathy,

Thanks for reply. I know where column views will create as you mentioned but my question is that I have read this  "Calculation view can also include column views which is created under _SYS_BIC/<PACKAGE NAME>/<VIEW NAME> ".

So I want to know Can we include column view into calculation view for modelling purpose?

if it can include like table and views,

then Is there any difference between column views and views/Tables. Please clarify

Former Member
0 Kudos

To keep things simple and generic. Column views can be included in Calculation Views just as any other views or tables. A column view is either an attribute view or analytical view or a calculation view, now the advantage is the re-usability of the views that were modeled according to your business scenario.

A popular notion is to avoid attribute views in a Calculation view as it is executed as SQL joins and can cause performance issues.

0 Kudos

"Calculation view can also include column views which is created under_SYS_BIC/<PACKAGE NAME>/<VIEW NAME> ".

So I want to know Can we include column view into calculation view for modelling purpose?

Still having confusion about this query.,K thanks I will post a screenshot about this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramana,

All the 3 views can be considered as Design time objects. Once they are activated, it would become column views under _SYS_BIC_(run time objects).

Can we use these column views(under _SYS_BIC) in other calculation views - Yes, definitely.

But we wont be able to access the input parameters/hierarchies etc created in the actual calc or other views.

Regards,

Deepak

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Thanks to Deepak and Shiromani, Its clear now.

shiromani_soni1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ramana,

Calculation views are composite views and can be used to combine other views. It can consume other Analytical, Attribute, other Calculation Views & tablesIt can perform complex calculations not possible with other views.

So the answer to your questions is, column views are either Attribute, Analytical or Calculation Views created under _SYS_BIC schema, and yes these can be consumed under a Calculation view for modelling purpose, now why it is required is to reduce the complexity and it provides the idea of re-usability.

Attribute View: Used to create view for master data.

Analytical View: Create views for Transaction data however only one measure can be defined per table, which is a restriction of Analytical View.

Calculation View: We can define multiple measure fields for a single table, preferred for complex scenarios.

Hence it goes in sequence, Master and Transaction data is processed by OLAP engine in Analytical View, considered as Column Views and can be consumed for Calculation View for further calculations.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Shiromani Soni