Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRBACKUP failing on every friday

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

When i am overviewing my previous database backup logs, i found that ever friday backup is failing. We are taking here "Initialize tape" option and "Whole database online+ redolog backup" options.

When i searched the log i found that form the step"rewinding" onwards the backup is failing.Please note that all the other days, backup is successful.

Can any one help me why it is so ??

Screenshots and log files are attached for your reference.

Please help

Regards

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen.

Have you tried different tape backup ? I think some issue on backup tape

Regards

SS

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

SS,

As mentioned in post, we are using full online backup and tape initialization . But all the other days it is working fine. If it is related to tape, other days should be also show error. But all the other days it is showing sucessfully.

Regards

Praveen

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen.

You can error the backup media before starting the backup or just compare the backup successfully and failed logs to know what is the wrong.

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use the command to check the tape device

tctl -f /dev/rmt1.1 rewind

Check the sapnote

540543 - Composite SAP note: dd errors when calling in BR tools

1898432 - DBV-00600: Fatal Error - [20] [27090] [0] [0] during dbverify

Regards,

Prithviraj.

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

What is your backup retention policy ??

If it is a week, then it could be problem with your tape of Friday as Every Friday same tape is loaded to the drive for backup.

Take a chance by replacing with new tape once, so Tape problem option can be ruled out.

Regards,

Anil

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

We are taking daily online backup here as mentioned in the above post. Also please note that we are using 7 different tapes for daily backup.

//then it could be problem with your tape of Friday as Every Friday same tape is loaded to the drive for backup.

Take a chance by replacing with new tape once, so Tape problem option can be ruled out//

Is this is the only way to check the status ? Can we check what exactly was the problem?

Regards

Praveen

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prithviraj,

Is there is any need to mention any specific date for the command "tctl -f /dev/rmt1.1 rewind" ?

Because the error is happening on every Friday. So if today i execute the command will it show today's result or any other ? i am asking this because i am using this command for the first time. That's why...

Regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

No, it will just check the status of tape device mentioned.

You can run this command before scheduled backup.

Regards,

Prithviraj.

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prithviraj,

Ok, Thanx. Let me check on next friday and will update

Regards

Praveen

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Praveen,

Inset same tape in Tape drive of last Friday of the day when backup was failed (Make sure you are inserting the correct tape on which backup was failed).

Then Goto BRTOOLS and select Tape initialization option with name as SCRATCH and check if all goes fine or still you are facing the same issue.

Above process is to check if there is any issues with FridayTape.

Regards,

Anil Bhandary

former_member182657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Suggest you to follow similar SCN thread at along with SAP Note  104719 - NT: Problems with MT.EXE (BRBackup error: mt: ...)  .In resume share result for  command tctl -f /dev/rmt1 rewind

Regards,