Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Storage for HANA Appliance Scale-up

former_member415489
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need clarity or SAP document on, Does SAP HANA Appliance (Scale-up) is allowed to connect with external Storage (10G iSCSI) even though storage is certified for HANA. but this external storage will host other non-HANA databases and application binaries. Appliance will run SoH.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello  Raheel,

You can connect external storage to your appliance this is possible technically however your appliance hardware vendor will not support that or may come up with legal implications for connecting anything to appliance that was not shipped as bundle with appliance .

Also you can mount your storage if you want to and this is supported . Also you can ask your appliance hardware vendor for implications of connecting anything which was not shipped with appliance . If your storage is HANA certified still you cannot connect to appliance however hardware vendor can help you with final decision .

I hope answered your question .

-Suharsh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raheel,

External Storage is supported by SAP for HANA Database's

The below link provides a list of SAP Certified external storage systems supported

SAP's recommendation is to use a dedicated storage setup for the PRODUCTION systems and the shared Storage can be used for the NON PRODUCTION landscapes

Such a storage setup is considered a Tailored Datacenter Integration(TDI)

http://global.sap.com/community/ebook/2014-09-02-hana-hardware/enEN/enterprise-storage.html

Hope this helps

Sunil

former_member415489
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil Thank you for response, I know about TDI and certified Storage. My query is regarding connecting HANA Appliances (Scale-up) for external certified storage, is it allowed? I understand their are internal disks at appliances and doesn't require external connectivity, but in case is it allowed to connect appliance with external storage?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raheel,

A Certified HANA Appliance comes with sufficient Storage disks

I do not think SAP recommends or supports using Storage device outside the Appliance

If you would like to use the existing storage infrastructure; TDI(using the certified compute nodes) would be the appropriate solution

Can you confirm why are you looking to use external storage for an existing HANA appliance? is it due to lack of storage space or any performance constraints?

Sunil