cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

japanese characters on PDA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am able to display the japanese characters on Desktop MI client but what needs to be done to display the same in windows mobile 5 (english OS).I tried copying the msgothic fond unser windows folder..but it doesn't seems to work even the sap MI client interface showing Square boxes instead of japanesee characters.Please suggest,.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Devendra

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi deven,

you need the national language support (nls). i don't have a WM5 unit to check this but i guess it might solve your problem. you can get the wince.nls file

from this link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=EEC33AE3-C129-4C25-ABAA-18E8E842178F&displa...

you can try changing your wm5 nls file and soft-reset... (be sure to backup it first).

here's a good thread which deals with jp, sc, tc nls in their devices... and it seems

to work as reported. hope this helps.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-240786.html

regards

jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jo,

I tried the thing what u have mentioned.I tried in Japanese OS PDA also.But the sap MI client home page is still showing square boxes instaed of Japanese characters.

In Windows 2003 english OS also i tried..i got the wince.nls file and steps to be followed for displaying japanese charcters from site

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=171045.

but issue is still the same.Is japanese characters are supported by SAP Mi client .Or do we need to do some settings or configuration at the MI client level.Please suggest.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jo,

I tried printing the "æ±" character on JSP page but when i change the default character set value in PDA PIE to japanese(shift_jis or EUC).It is not changing to japanese character as it use to happen in desktop client.its changing to some A|A+- something...and its not getting chnaged in JSP.Some to be done at coding level.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devendra

MI Client does support Japanese language. After some research, I found that in order to display Non-Latin languages like Japanese or Chinese on PDA, there are some steps to be followed. I came across the following website http://www.geocities.com/grieg_winter/viewchjp/index.html and when followed the procedure mentioned in there, i was able to view Japanese texts on PDA.

Though the steps are clearly mentioned, just to summarize what i did:

1. I copied the msgothic.ttc file(around 8MB) present in my Laptop to PDA i.e from C:\Windows\Fonts\ folder to \Windows folder of the PDA.

2. Then i added the following registry entries using a registry editor

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\FontLink\SystemLink]

"Courier New"="\Windows\msgothic.ttc,MS PGothic"

"MS PGothic"="\Windows\tahoma.ttf,Tahoma"

"MS Gothic"="\Windows\tahoma.ttf,Tahoma"

"Tahoma"="\Windows\msgothic.ttc,MS PGothic"

3. I restarted my PDA and choose JA as my language in MI Client.

I did this on HP ipaq PDA and this did the trick and the texts were displayed in Japanese instead of just boxes. I was able to view Chinese characters as well. This process might be a bit tedious but i find no other alternative at the moment. Hope this is helpful and you succeed in your attempt as well.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

I did the things what u have mentioned but its not working for me.I checked on i-mate JAM (2003)device English OS.Do u have any idea about this why its happening.Also i have the msgothic.ttc file but can u please send it to me at devendra.phate@gmail.com in a zip file just to confirm any issue with my font file.

Also do i need to change something else like wince.nls file within windows folder as mentioned in some threads.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devendra

I have sent you the msgothic.ttc file to your mail id. If even after replacing the file if the characters are not getting displayed, i have one more suggestion. Open the MobileEngine.lnk file or MIServer.lnk file present in \Windows\Startup folder in a notepad, delete the contents and replace it with the following content. <i><b>255#"\Windows\CrEme\bin\CrEme.exe" -Of -nlfont msgothic -cf MI\creme_listOfJars.txt com.sap.ip.me.core.Startup -home:/MI</b></i>. See that an additional argument -nlfont is added along with its value. Try and let me know.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva/Jo,

Thanks..thanks a lot for your help.The japanese characters are coming on to the interface now but can u please guide me i m not able to see the japanese characters on my application but i am able to see the same on my desktop.Do i need to change something at coding level also when selecting the language option for PIE browser i cannot see the option for japanese language.Please suggest what i have to do for the same.Please suggest.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jo/Siva,

When i m using this <%@page contentType="text/html; charset=shift_jis"%> on my desktop MI client i am able to see the japanese characters but n PDA its showing garbage value.Whn i remove the encoding type its showing me "??????" instead of japanese characters.Its seems i m not using the correct encoding type or japanese is not supported by PDA browser because its not giving me the option for selecting the japanese character set value.What has to be done to get the same please suggest.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jo,

In the trace file from PDA i can see the japanese character on PDA so something needs to be done on coding side.Becasue last time by setting the charset values as japanese i was able to see the data in japanese but is it becasue i m not getting the option of selecteing japanese shift_jis,EUC option of selecting in PIE.Please suggest.

Thanks in advacne.

thanks

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi deven,

sorry for the late reply; been busy lately.

can you confirm if browsing thru a japanese site, the PIE renders the characters

properly? if not please see the summary how to display JA in PIE (WM5).

some more questions:

are you just trying to display your data which was downloaded from the MW?

or trying to display the data submitted by the application user?

what's your system's codepage? <- you might need the nls file for this...

anyway, here's a good summary which had been posted in mobile forums.

might worth a try.

-

Enabling Japanese display: req. wince.nls (for WM5) and JAP font file.

• Copy wince.nls and the font file (e.g. msgothic.ttc) into \Windows folder. Overwrite the wince.nls file if prompted. (you may use ActiveSync)

• Create the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\FontLink\SystemLink

and create entries (name/data pair):

name: "Arial" data: "\Windows\msgothic.ttc, MS UI Gothic

name: "Tahoma" data: "\Windows\msgothic.ttc, MS UI Gothic

etc... (depending on which font is the default font of your system)

• Under HKLM\System\GDI, add a DWORD value called FontLinkMethods and the data of 1.

• Finally soft reset.

-

there's also another way for HPC2000. im not sure if this is applicable to WM5.

anyway, just posting it for reference.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0091.asp

regards

jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jo,

Thanks i was waiting for ur reply..:)

Jo previously i was not able to see the Japanese character on the SAP MI Client as i mentioned previously but after making the changes

• Create the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftFontLinkSystemLink

and create entries (name/data pair):

name: "Arial" data: "Windowsmsgothic.ttc, MS UI Gothic

name: "Tahoma" data: "Windowsmsgothic.ttc, MS UI Gothic

etc... (depending on which font is the default font of your system)

I was able to see the Japnese characters on SAP MI interface.

But in the application i m still not able to see the data in Japanese although in the trace file i can see the data in Japanaese.

Also i tried visiting the japanese site from PDA but in one site i m able to see the text as japanese and where as in other site its showing some special characters instead of japanese.

I can see the japanese.

http://www.google.co.jp/gwt/n?mrestrict=xhtml&site=search&q=japan&source=m&hl=nl&ei=tngzRvjMA4OWnwPw...

Japan (Japans: &#26085;&#26412; Nippon, Nihon; letterlijke betekenis: oorsprong van de zon; &#22823;&#21644;&#12288;Yamato is de naam voor het oude Japan) is een eilandenrijk ten oosten van het Aziatische continent, dat bestaat uit meer dan 3000 eilanden. De bevolking concentreert zich echter voornamelijk op de eilanden Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku en Kyushu.

verbergen | 1 | 2...

Etymologie

Voor 'Japan' zijn in het Japans tegenwoordig twee namen in gebruik:

&#26085;&#26412; (&#12395;&#12411;&#12435;) Nihon

&#26085;&#26412; (&#12395;&#12387;&#12413;&#12435;) Nippon

De twee woorden zijn inhoudelijk identiek maar worden slechts anders uitgesproken. Over het algemeen beschouwt men Nippon als een officiële term. Op deze manier komt hij bijvoorbeeld voor op postzegels, bij sportevenementen en in de naam Nippon Ginkou (Bank of Japan / De Japanse Bank). Voor normaal gebruik heeft echter Nihon de voorkeur. Bijvoorbeeld &#26085;&#26412;&#20154;&#12288;nihon-jin "Japanner" &#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12288;nihon-go "de Japanse taal". Hiernaast vindt men vaak het woord &#21644; 'wa', wat afstamt van &#22823;&#21644; Yamato, waarmee Japan bedoeld wordt. Bijvoorbeeld: &#21644;&#39080; Japanse stijl, &#21644;&#39135; Japanse gerechten, &#21644;&#33521; Japans-Engels (bijv. in woordenboek)

where as in site

http://asukal.seesaa.net/

I m getting the data as

”X‚Ì–¼ìuQ&zƒVƒŠ[ƒYv ‚𐶂ݏo‚µ‚½‰p—Y‚Å‚ ‚éB

IMEØ‚è‘Ö‚¦ƒAƒvƒŠ+ƒL[ƒRƒ}ƒ“ƒhA ŠÈˆÕƒ_ƒCƒAƒ‰[‚ðŽ‚ÂPQz

‚»‚µ‚ÄIMEØ‚è‘Ö‚¦‚ª‚Å‚«‚È‚­‚È‚é•s‹ï‡‚ð‰ðÁ‚•‚éSIPz

ƒkƒ‹ƒY‚̏‘‚«Š•‚¦‚ç‚ê‚È‚©‚Á‚½OSã‚Å“ú–{Œê“ü—Í‚ð‰Â”‚É‚µ‚Ä‚­‚ꂽPQBoz,

“¯‚¶‚­ƒGƒ“ƒR[ƒh•s‰Â”‚ÈOSã‚Å“ú–{Œêƒ[ƒ‹‚ð‰Â”‚É‚µ‚Ä‚­‚ꂽnPOPz,

‚È‚ñ‚ƍ¡‰ñ‚Í•Ö—˜‚ȃ_ƒCƒAƒ‹‚ð‰Â”‚É‚µ‚Ä‚­‚ê‚éƒ_ƒCƒAƒ‹ê—pƒAƒvƒŠ‚É’…Žè‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚é

‚Æ‚Ì‚¤‚킳‚ð••‚«‚‚¯A‚Ü‚ê‚ÈHalf QVGA‰æ–Ê‚Å‚Ì“®ìƒeƒXƒg‚Ì‘å”C‚𐂵o‚½

Asukal‚Å‚ ‚Á‚½IB‚¢‚âAŒˆ‚µ‚ÄSmart Dialer‚Ì–³‚¢“`—ß•º‚щƒNƒ`ƒ“ƒ_ƒCƒAƒ‹‚µ‚½‚¢

“™‚ÆŒ¾‚¤‰ºS‚Å‚Í‚È‚¢‚¼I‚±‚ê‚à¢ŠE‚Ì“¯Žu‚ׂ̈ɐ‚µo‚½‚Ì‚Å‚ ‚éI

also on the Application I m getting the data as

‘å’ÐԏŽš•a‰@

‘å’ÃŽs

‹ž“s•{—§ˆã‰È‘åŠw•‘®•a‰@

‹ž“sŽs

‘åã•{—§‹}«ŠúE‘‡ˆã—ÃZƒ“ƒ^[

‘åãŽs

Žs—§’r“c•a‰@

’r“cŽs

‹ž“s‘æ“ñÔŽš•a‰@

‹ž“sŽs

“Æ—§s­–@l‘—§•a‰@‹@

äŽs

“Þ—ÇŒ§—§ˆã‰È‘åŠw•‘®•a‰@

Š€Œ´Žs

Mˆ¤‰ïV¶•a‰@

‚’ÎŽs

• Copy wince.nls and the font file (e.g. msgothic.ttc) into Windows folder. Overwrite the wince.nls file if prompted. (you may use ActiveSync)

I tied copying the wince.nls file from japanese OS PDAbut it was not allowing me to do so as it was mentioning as readyonly file so couldnt try this option.

• Under HKLMSystemGDI, add a DWORD value called FontLinkMethods and the data of 1.

I tried doing this also.but still not able to see the data.I m still puzzling why in some sites i m able to see the japanese character whereas in some i cant see the data.

I tried changing the registry as mentioned in the site

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0091.asp but the MI client was not getting changed also i was not able to open Jpanese site so i reverted back the cahnges.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devendra

What happens if you use the tag <i><b><%@page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %></b></i> within the jsp pages of your application instead of charset=shift_jis. Apart from this tag, you can also try using <i><b><%@page language="java"%></b></i>. All jsp pages within MI Client makes use of these two tags.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

I tried the thing what u have mentioned.Now i m getting the data as

大津赤十字病院

大津市

京都府立医科大学附属病院

京都市

大阪府立急性期・畏合医療センター

大阪市

å¸‚ç«‹æ± ç”°ç—…é™¢

æ± ç”°å¸‚

京都第二赤十字病院

京都市

独立行政法人国立病院機構

å ºå¸‚

奈良県立医科大学附属病院

橿原市

信愛会新生病院

高槻å

This thing is still puzling me.Do u have any idea whether SAP MI JSP Client support japanese characters or not.I went through one SAP Note

which states about AWT MI Client

MI Client (AWT Version) does not display asian characters on Windows Mobile

At the moment the MI Client (AWT Version) on Windows Mobile/PocketPC 2003

is not able to display characters of following languages: - Simplified

Chinese - Traditional Chinese - Korean - Japanese

This restriction is no longer valid.

Fixed with SP14

( Changed at 29.08.2005 )

No mixed mode support between Non-Unicode and Unicode systems

Mixed mode between Non-Unicode and Unicode systems is not supported.

Also in our case Backend is non unicode and middleware is unicode but i dont think i will affect because i m getting the japanese data on Desktop MI Client.

One more query..In Mobile 5 device i m not getting the option of selecting japanese shift_jis charset value.

but in Mobile 2003 device i tried the steps mentioned in blog

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=171045.

and after that i was able to see the option for charset value for japanese language..by replacing wince.nls file..etc..but in mobile 5 device i couldnt try the same because its not allowing me to replace the wince.nls file.

please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please check the below link, It may give you some idea.

Thanks,

kumarR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Devendra

Can you please check if the jar file <b>i18n.jar</b> in present in \Windows\Creme\lib folder on the PDA. This jar file as you might already know, is used for internationlization in Java. If the Creme you are using is a SAP certified Creme, then this jar file is present by default installation else this might not be there. If this file is not present just add this jar file and restart your PDA(You can download this file from web or can also find it in your <JDK>\jre\lib folder on laptop installation). This might do the trick.

Best Regards

Sivakumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

I checked the path for jarfile what u have mentioned.Its showing the i18n.jar file.But stll i m not getting the japanese sap MI client it is still showing square box instaed of japanese characters.

Thanks

Regards

Devendra