cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PD 16.1 'Named object:dbo Unknown' error trying to open Column display

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with our PD16.1 version. I get the above message Named Object:dbo Unknown when I try to open the Column display from the properties dispaly for a table which lists dbo as its owner. This error so far has been with models using SQL 2005 as their DBMS. If I remove the 'dbo' specified as the table's owner, it allows me to see the column display but if I try to type a new column name, I get the PDSHELL has stopped working and PD crashes. If I tried to add a new owner/schema using the Model...Users and Roles, I get the PDSHELL message again and crash also. I also noticed that I can't even add a new table using the Tools..Table icon either. I can select it and bring it to an open area in a diagram but clicking doesn't not create a new table as it should. I've tried changing the DBMS to Sql2008 and saving the model but I get the same results. These are models pulled down from (checked out) from our repository that I've never worked on before.

Has anyone seenn or heard of this problem before. I'm doing backup for a team mate who passed away the day after Christmas and I need help quickly. Thanks in advance,

Don

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Is there a possibility the .pdm file is corrupt?  Try opening it with an XML or text editor and check the end of the file to confirm it terminates as a proper xml file with the </Model> tag.

If the file was not properly saved, then the object definition for 'dbo' may not have been saved and therefore read from the file.

Try looking for a backup copy of the file (.pdb) or (.apm) in that case.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Yes, there may be some sort of corruption but I don't know how to check for or fix it. I think it's related to how older models may have benn converted at some point in time. The models I'm having trouble with have all been SQL2005. The problem that I think exists is that when you add an 'owner' to a table in a newer model it shows up in the 'Model' display of 'Users and Roles' as a 'Schema' but in these older models the owner listed for the tables shows up in that display as a 'User', so then the tool can't find a schema/owner that matches the one specified in the table properties. I have developed a workaround in the process of testing my suspicions. It consists of the following steps.

1-Remove the 'dbo' 'User' from the model using the Model-Users and Roles dropdown but don't try to add a new one as this causes a PD hangup.

2-Change the DBMS to SQL2008 or higher.(i don't know if this is required)

3-Create a new pdm using SQL2008 or higher and add a duplicate of the table you want to change or some smaller table that is in the existing table.

4-Make a full duplicate of this table's columns, keys, etc.

5-Add 'dbo' as a 'schema' in the model, users and Roles dropdown

6-Specify 'dbo' as the new table's owner using the table properties.

7-Use the Tools, Merge models to replace the original table with the new one in the original model.(after you've backed it up, of course)

8-You should now have a 'schema' named 'dbo' in the original model which must be re-applied to all the tables that were owned by it before.

9-Use the Model, Tables display to select 'dbo' for all tables that were previously listed under this user.

!0-The old model can now be edited and updated as it should have been before.

I have had to do this twice now and it has worked successfully both times.

Don Brown