cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About archive files for DFD, DMM, BPM Models ?

0 Kudos

We can save Data Flow Diagram, Data Movement and Business Process Models in the form of archive files.

What do you do with these archive files, which usage ?

For physical and multidimensional models we use the automatic generation of archive files (apm, mpa) when generating scripts for our databases.

"Archive PDMs Provide a snapshot of the structure of our database at a point-in-time to allow us to determine model exchange since That Time When updating our database. When Comparing our model Directly with a database or script and not with an archive PDM, Some PARTICULARLY renamed differences around objects can be lost, leading to more drop / alter Creates in place of statements."

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can generate code from a BPM or Data Movement Model, so you would use those archive files in the same way as you would for a PDM, for the same reasons.

0 Kudos

First, thank you to take time to answer

When we generate a Physical Data Model we can check Automatic Archive

When we want Apply Model Changes to Database we can select "Using an archive model"

For Lanaguage Analysis we can Data Import/Export from/to CDM, LDM, PDM and OOM.

For Language BPEL4WS 1,1 we can Export/Import Simul8, Generate/Reverse BPEL4WS, Import WDSL. Export/Import Service Provider

For Language BPMN 2.0 Descriptive we can Export/Import Simul8

For Language BPMN 2.0 Executable we can Export/Import Simul8, Export/Import Service Provider and Import WDSL

For Langauge DFD we can Export/Import Simul8 and Export/Import Service Provider

For Language SAP Solution Manager 7.1 we can Export/Import SIMUL8

For Language Service Oriented Architecture we can Export/Import Simul8, Export/Import Service Provider and Import WDSL

For Language WSPBEL 2.0 we can Export/Import Simul8, Export/Import Service Provider, Import WDSL and Generate/Reverse WSBPEL 2.0

I did not found any option when I generate code about Automatic Archive and I dis not found option about using an archive Model when I want apply model change.

This seems normal because we talk about generate file and not update database structure in using SQL commands.

I do not understand why use the archiving function in these situations.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

According to PD Help, you can compare the archive file to the current model when altering an existing Sybase Replication server from a DMM, and when updating SAP Solution Manager from a BPM. In both of these cases we would be generating code to alter an existing implementation. I don't have access to either of those technologies so I've never come across it myself.

You could include archive files in a standard change control process, perhaps creating them before you go live with a release. You can check in multiple archive files for the same model, as long as you check them in to different folders.

Answers (0)