Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to assign the diagnostics agents to a new system :-(

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have installed a new Java system in our landscape. Now I am going through the pain for adding it

to our Solution Manager. Like all the other systems - we have 2 hosts - an App server and a DB server.

We are using physical and virtual hostnames. The SAP systems are using the virtual hostnames.

Some time ago, we had an SAP consultant here, who advised to install the diagnostics agents without

a hostname and this has been working very well - UNTIL NOW!

So, I have installed the Diagnostics agent once by just launching sapinst, it didn't work, then I tried once

more by launching sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<virtual_hostname> and then in both cases

I was deleting the hostname at the first dialog in the course of the installation.

So, no matter what I do - In step 3 of the managed system setup - Assign Diagnostics Agent - I don't

get the opportunity to assign the correct agents !! I have also tried the Auto Assign button, which had

been working before - it gives the following error message:

No available Diagnostics Agent found for assignment to <virtual_hostname>.

This is starting to be REALLY annoying, please kindly help me !!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sachingupta28
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

As you mentioned your SAP systems are installed using virtual hostname, while you have installed diagnostic agents without using hostname. (As you have deleted the hostname after launching sapinst).

So try using agent on the fly configurtaion.

Goto Managed system configuration -> Goto Tab Hosts (Configuration). Select the physical hostname of SAP JAVA system -> Configure System.

Check if agent is assigned or not here to physical host.

If assigned goto next step Enter system parameter and select agent on fly option. Save. After that start managed system configuration again.

If not assigned check you can find Agent in agent administration or not?

Thanks and Regards

Sachin Gupta

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Daniel and Sachin,

I will check once again the status of the "agent on the fly" option. But I am almost 100% sure, that I have enabled it. Also I will check the log files of the agents and I will post eventual errors.

For me, the most frustrating point is, that I can see the agents in the agent administration tool, also I can see, that the agents are listed in the "candidates" tab, but I am unable to assign them to the hosts.

I will check the KBA and your other advices once I am back in the office next year 🙂

Thank you both!

daniel_nicol
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

You can also open an incident with SAP for that. With access to the system it may become easier to figure this out.

Regards,

Daniel.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

This is exactly what I have been hoping to avoid. Their answers are not coming really fast, they are obviously overloaded...

Oftentimes I've got prompt and highly qualified help here...

sachingupta28
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Could you please provide

1) host_profile from location /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe.

2) smdagent.properties from location /usr/sap/<Diagnostic agent SID>/<Instance>/SMDAgent

3) runtime.properties from location /usr/sap/<Diagnostic agent SID>/<Instance>/SMDAgent/configuration

In case if you can not mention hostnames here, just replace them by words "physical host", "virtual host" or "logical host" as applicable.

Thanks and Regards

Sachin Gupta

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, this certainly belongs to the problem... I have checked the host configuration now - the agents have disappeared !!! I am trying to assign them again to the hosts, but I am facing the same problem !! They are not even suggested as agent candidates !! I am going to reinstall them again...

Thank you!

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

as you requested:

1)

SAPSYSTEMNAME = SAP

SAPSYSTEM = 99

service/porttypes = SAPHostControl SAPOscol SAPCCMS

DIR_LIBRARY = /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

DIR_EXECUTABLE = /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

DIR_PROFILE = /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

DIR_GLOBAL = /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

DIR_INSTANCE = /usr/sap/hostctrl/exe

DIR_HOME = /usr/sap/hostctrl/work

service/logfile_000 = /tmp/s

service/admin_users = daaadm

2)

smdagent.name=SMDAgent

smdagent.type=java

smdagent.isWorker=true

smdagent.LoadBalanceRestricted=false

smdagent.Id=1

smdagent.parameters=run jcontrol

smdagent.rootPath=../SMDAgent

smdagent.classPath=lib/launcher/smdagentlauncher.jar:lib/iaik/iaik_jce.jar:lib/iaik/iaik_jsse.jar:lib/iaik/iaik_smime.jar:lib/iaik/iaik_ssl.jar:lib/iaik/w3c_http.jar:../exe/jstartupapi.jar:../exe/jstartupimpl.jar

smdagent.mainClass=com.sap.smd.agent.launcher.SMDAgentLauncher

smdagent.javaParameters=-DP4ClassLoad=P4Connection -Xmx256m -Xms256m

smdagent.DebugMode=no

smdagent.Debuggable=yes

smdagent.DebugPort=59821

smdagent.shutdownMethod=com.sap.smd.agent.launcher.SMDAgentLauncher.shutdown

3)

runtime.states.initial=core.startup,core.patch.enabled

sld.hostname=<FQDN of our Solution Manager>

sld.hostport=5$$00

sld.hostprotocol=http

sld.httplog.debug=false

sld.managing.checker.wakeup.time=3600000|900000

sld.reg.wakeup.time=43200000

smd.agent.bootstrap.application=com.sap.smd.agent.application.runtime

smd.agent.bootstrap.class=com.sap.smd.core.runtime.Runtime

smd.agent.connection.enableNAT=true

smd.agent.connection.transport=None

smd.agent.connection.url=ms\://<FQDN of our Solution Manager>\:81<SCS_No>/P4

smdserver.connection.interval=30000

smdserver.connection.requiresAuthentication=basic

daniel_nicol
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

An agent reinstallation is not certainly necessary. There might be other issues.

Please open an incident under SV-SMG-DIA with the content of the log and work folders of the diagnostics agent. I will be able to help you better in that case.

Kind regards,

Daniel.

sachingupta28
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

I can not see any problem with properties and profile file. So its really very strange. Could you check to which host name it is resolving to in /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/SMDAgent/log/SMDSystem.X.log and /usr/sap/<SID>/<Instance>/SMDAgent/log/smdagent_trace.X.trc files.

Do you see some error there?

Thanks and Regards

Sachin Gupta

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, I FINALLY managed to do it !!!

I had to reinstall the diagnostics agents one more, by using

sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<virtual_host>.

But... I still don't know the root cause ? Why wasn't it possible to assign the agents the first time ?

Also... I was NOT able to select the diagnostic agent on the fly option:

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Please stop and start the SAP Host agent or restart it (saphostexec -restart) .After this try checking if the Agents on the fly option is enabled

Regards,

Murali

sachingupta28
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Message clearly indicate the issue you are facing now. Its because when agent is assigned to logical hosts you can not use on the fly option. Also you need to install diagnostic agent without using host name in order to use Agent on the fly option.

Thanks and Regards

Sachin Gupta

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sachin,

I am not absolutely sure, what do you mean to install diagnostics agent "without using host name".

Once again, what I did, and what worked was:

# sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<virt_hostname>

then in the first dialog box where the physical hostname is proposed by default, I have deleted it and left it empty.

What I have also tried and it DID NOT WORK (no Agents On-the-fly allowed):

# sapinst

then in the first dialog box where the physical hostname is proposed by default, I have deleted it and left it empty.

Afterwards, there was a warning, during the host setup:

No Diagnostics Agent with host name 'virt_hostname' is available.

daniel_nicol
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

When you say virtual hostname, do you mean a VM running on a physical machine? Or do you mean a hostname defined in the hosts.etc/DNS, which corresponds to a specific IP, but not to a specific machine? The first thing to be answered is this. Agents running on a VM need a specific installation, while for logical hostnames(hosts.etc/DNS and specific and unique IPs) you can enable the agents on-the-fly feature.

A way to answer this is to open the landscape browser and check the details of this system. It will tell us how it was detected. For that, open the following URL: http://<Solution Manager FQDN>:<ICM port>/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/diagls_landscape_browser_app . Once you open this application, search for the technical system and expand the details of it, all hosts should be shown, and it also says if they're virtual/physical/logical host names. Please provide a screenshot of this.

If they're logical host names, you must enable the agents on-the-fly. If they're physical or virtual hostnames, you need a separate agent installation for each.

For details on how to use the agents on-the-fly, read this wiki: Diagnostics Agent and HA Support - SAP Solution Manager Setup - SCN Wiki .

For details on how virtual/physical/logical host names are handled, read this note: 962955 - Use of virtual or logical TCP/IP host names.

Besides that, if the agent is on a physical/virtual host, it might only be a problem of connecting it to the Solution Manager, if it can't connect, it will be shown in the SMDSystem.log . In that case, ensure that you used the correct port to connect it, as described in KBA 1907909.

Regards,

Daniel.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

first of all, I would like to thank you for the very detailed and professional answer!

I have tried to launch the landscape browser, but it is very very sluggish, and I didn't get any useful output from it thus far. This is probably because our system has memory limits, let by the OS team and it simply doesn't have enough resources, in order to display the output.

Hence, I have decided to describe you the landscape. All our systems are running in solaris zones. Each zone has 2 network interfaces - one carries the hostname of the zone, which I can't cite here, the other cares the host name, which I call virtual. We are using <sid> in small letters for the AS and <sid>-db for the DB host. We are using these virtual host names for all the SAP setup, for example, when installing a new system, I am starting: sapinst SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<sid>

So, based on this, it is hard for me to firmly say yes or no to virtual machine and yes or no to virtual hostnames. But I think that you can judge this, based on your experience, I just wrote in my first post how we have always been doing it and till now it has been working.

Of course, I had problems from time to time to see the agents, but reinstalling DAA once has always been solving the problem. Now I did it so many times, that it obviously isn't bringing the solution 😕

Many thanks for helping me out of this mess !!

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Daniel, I feel like the governments of several specific countries, because I had to apply A LOT of censorship to the screenshot, but in the end I was able to get it:

In BLACK - SAP system <SID> or virtual hostname <sid> / <sid>-db for AS and DB

in RED - the physical hostname, being returned, when you type the hostname command on OS level

I just hope it provides you the answer to what you wanted to know - I don't see somewhere a specification which hostname is virtual and which isn't...

Thanks once again!

daniel_nicol
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Based on your screenshot, I see you have 2 virtual host names and 2 logical host names.

No agent is found for any of them. What you have to do now is to access those hosts whose type is "virtual", as shown in the screenshot, and ensure that you can connect the diagnostics agents which are installed there. For that, you have to follow the details described in KBA 1907909. The most common mistake in this procedure is to use the wrong port, you have to use the Java SCS MS port. To find this port, do the following:

1. In the Solution Manager, access transaction SA38 and execute report RSBDCOS0.

2. Change the folder to /usr/sap/<Solman ID>/SCS<instance number>/work

3. If you're using Linux, enter "cat dev_ms", if you're using MS-Windows, enter "type dev_ms".

4. The output of file dev_ms will be shown, so, from the beginning of the file, search for "http", then you will find the correct port, usually 81<xx>. Use this port to connect the agent.

Once done you should be able to find the diagnostics agent in the Agent Administration UI ( http://<solman FQDN>:<ICM port>/smd/AgentAdmin ).  Via Managed System Configuration, access tab "Hosts" and for each of the hosts with type "virtual", perform the managed system configuration and enable the agents on-the-fly feature. With that done, when you perform the managed system configuration of the technical system, there should be an agent available for each of the 4 hosts shown in the screenshot.

Regards,

Daniel.

daniel_nicol
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Just some additional information:

If you cannot connect the agents installed on the virtual hosts, please attach the most recently changed log file of the Diagnostics agent with name "SMDSystem<n>.log"(If it is not a problem for you to share it, the host name of your Solution Manager will be exposed there).

If you can't share it, please copy the generic part of the error so that we can check it.

Regards,

Daniel.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Happy New Year, now back to work 🙂 I have searched the /usr/sap/DAA directory recursively and I didn't find a log file named "SMDSystem<n>.log"

former_member204080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Please check in below location you can file SMDSystem<n>.log"

/usr/sap/DAA/SMDA<>/SMDAgent/log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

Is the new system registered in SLD? and is the Diagnostic agent of the new system registered in SLD?

Diagnostics Agent and HA Support - SAP Solution Manager Setup - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Leela.

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, the answer is 2x YES 🙂