Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in workprocess

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

When i was doing the normal SAP daily health checkup, i came across an error in SM50.

How to rectify this error ? Deleting the work process is not the best way , is there any other way to solve this ?

Regards

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Many reason will be there.

Now work processes looks fine.

You can get error and time stamp from work directory. You can trace the log file dev_w2.

Work Directory: /usr/sap/SID/<Instance Directory>/work

Here red 1 in the ERR column denotes the number times which that WP has been terminated or restarted.

You do not need to do anything action. When you stop and start SAP it will disappear.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

The wp's status are only running and waiting. No hold status or stop status. As today i sent the sap daily check list to my manager and  he is asking me about the error message.

My question is how we can remove the error message from there?

Regards

Praveen

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

If it is not an Production system, Stop and Start SAP.

The error will disappear.

If production system no need any action right now. When you restart SAP it will disappear.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok. thanx

Regards

Praveen

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

mervin_joseph
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

You don't need to worry about this error. The "Failure" status indicates how many time a workprocess has failed since the instance was started.A workprocess can be terminated for various reason, eg. due to an program error or can be terminated by an administrator.

The termination counter can be reset from tcode sm50>>List>>reset>>failure

The above step will reset the termination and the red color will disappear.

I believe you are one of my kind who dont wanna see any red status in the system

Best Regards,

Mervin Joseph

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen,

The "restart after error" option configures SAP to restart or not the work process after an error.

If set to "no", the work processes that face an error will remain in "stop" status.

When using the default setting ("yes"), the work process restarts automatically after an error, coming back to normal operation.

The only way to remove that red counter is to restart SAP, as far as I know.

The PID you see at the beginning of the dev_w2 is different exactly because the work process has restarted after the error. Search the dev_w2 for the current PID.

You should reach a point where the work process has restarted.

Analyzing the trace entries before the new PID should reveal what happened.

In case the work process has restarted more than once, the reason for each restart might have been different.

You can then search for the system ID ("SID") to find each of the restarts.

As you will notice, the same header from the beginning of the trace is also written every time the work process restarts.

Regards,

Isaías

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Praveen,

In the error field you can see 1 , it means that the work process was aborted for one time.

The number in that column indicates that how many times the WP got terminated/aborted. Don't kill the work process.

There many be many reasons for WP termination,

- Like Lack of memory to execute the report/job.

- Might be a network issue Etc.

Please review this link so that you will have a better idea - SM50 - Process Overview - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

and Error doesn't affect your system performance.   If it is a Non-Prod please schedule a system bounce on regular basis for better performance.

Please reward if this is helpful.

Thanks and regards,

Saikiran

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Try this

SM66 Systemwide Work Process Overview

Global workprocess is very usefull when we have more than 1 DI this will show all WP (CI,DI) WP status

look for all WP processes and observe error (red) or in stale state,

We can also display only stop process goto => process list => select process => check status

Restart the stop process by going to stop wp app server (sm50) => select wp => process => Restart after error => yes

Regards,

V Srinivasan

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

//Restart the stop process by going to stop wp app server (sm50) => select wp => process => Restart after error => yes//

Here the above is mentioned only in the case of "STOP" status, right? but as of my question , my status is running. no "STOP" status.

Regards

Praveen

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

SM50 - Administration- Process -> restart after error.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Srini,

The system is production. After our normal time, if i do the process "SM50 - Administration- Process -> restart after error." , will the red color will disappear?

Regards

Praveen

srinivasan_vinayagam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

After SAP restart on red color disappear.

Regards,

V Srinivasan

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok. Thanx

Regards

Praveen

0 Kudos

This error can be an old one.

If you want to rectify error, you can check the dev_w2 ( here work process is 2 ) file in the instance work directory. Error may be an old one.

If you want to not see this 1 here, you can create a fresh log dev_w2 .

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi nick,

I checked in ST11. but i can't find the same PID there.

Regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, you can find the details in developer work trace (transaction ST11 choose your dev_w<num> trace file.)

Regards,

Anatoliy

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

But the pid is different there. i check in the same

Regards

Praveen