cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-SAP Monitoring - status propagation for availability

0 Kudos

Dear experts

I've implemented EEM and remarked, that EEM will not alert in case the robots are no longer available. In order to monitor their availability, I configured the roboters within the technical monitoring as non-SAP systems.

The Technical System is of type "Unspecified Cluster System" containing 4 instances (the actual robots). This leads to the following landscape within the technical monitoring (just great, I think):

The following metrics are active for host-monitoring:

• Availability
    • SAP Host Agent Availability
    • Host Network Availability
  • Performance
    • CPU
      • CPU User Utilization
      • CPU System Utilization
      • CPU Idle (without I/O Wait)
      • CPU I/O Wait
    • Memory
      • Free Memory
      • Free Memory [%]
  • Host Exception
    • File System Free (MB)

As you might have remarked on the screen shot, the monitoring of the technical system just showes the "Performance" propagated from technical instance (propagated from host) but neither availability or exception.

Has anyone of you an idea what went wrong? Do I need additional metrics to be active in order to be able to have the availability state propagated from host to technical instance to technical system?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Best regards, Michi

PS: as you also might have remarked, I've temporarly added a custom metric on technical instance for availability monitoring and alerting. This was needed for alerting using instance-names (different from host names).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ruth_reilly
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

Please implement the SAP Note 2192841 - Status propagated from Technical Instance, Database or Host is incorrect. Please follow manual instructions where relevant and test suitability for system prior to implementation. Afterwards, please reconfigure the monitoring for the affected system in Step 6 of Tech Mon.

Regards,

Ruth

0 Kudos

Hi Ruth

Thank you very much for your answer. But this Solution Manager is currently running on 7.1 SP12, your note addresses SP13 as well as SP14.

Regards, Michi

ruth_reilly
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Can you please check in the Alerting Directory Browser, input  T_SYS_MON for the Monitoring Use Case, input EEM~UNSPECIFIC for the entry point, then click apply.

Click the EEM~UNSPECIFIC node, in the form at right side, click "Events" tab, please check  if the category event System Availability, Configuration etc. is inactive or active.

This could be the reason the ~Availability/Configuration is not present in the monitoring UI.

If it is in active please activate this event and reconfigure(apply and activate in Solman setup Technical Monitoring Step 6) the monitoring for EEM again?

To Acitvate:

1. go to solman_setup

2. click technical monitoring tab

3. go to step 5 define scope, choose EEM, click next

4. in step 6 setup monitoring,click "Maintain mo specific setting"

5. in the popup window, click "edit" and click "expert mode" button

6. in the "Metrics,Event,Alerts Hierarchy", you change the "active/inactive" status, click "save" after change.

7. in the step 6 setup monitoring, click "apply and activate" button.

Best regards,

Ruth

0 Kudos

Hi Ruth

Thank you very much for the debuging steps using the Alerting Directory Browser. I didn't remember how great this tool is to analyse monitoring issue.

The alerting directory browser shows the following events:

• Technical System "EEM~UNSPECIFIC"
    • System Performance [Category Event = true]
      • Status propagated from Technical Instance [Propagated Event = true]
  • Technical Instance "EEM~UNSPECIFIC~<roboter> on <host>"
    • Instance Performance [Category Event = true]
      • Status propagated from Host [Propagated Event = true]
  • <host>
    • Host Exception [Category Event = true]
    • Host Performance [Category Event = true]
    • Host Availability [Category Event = true]
      • SAP Host Agent Availability [Alert Assigned = true]
        • SAP Host Agent Availability [Event Type = Simple Metric]
      • Host Availability [Alert Assigned = true]
        • Host Network Availability [Event Type = Simple Metric]

Therefore, I can proove now, that there is no status propagated for availability nor from exceptions.

The activation steps, you also wrote, do not work as there is no metric for "Generic Productversion" to be activated at all... According the alerting directory browser, all activated metrics are listet (and got reported on the monitoring view).

Is there a way to create these "Status propagated"-entries manually into the Templates? So far I know I'm only able to create metrics or alerts but not events...

Thank you very much for your support to this SCN thread. Hopefully, this will help others, too.

Best regards, Michi

PS: We are currently using SAP content from November 16th 2015