Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jco RFC Destinations vs HTTP Destination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to AS JAVA Systems.

Can someone please explain the technical difference between JCo RFC Destinations and HTTP Destinations?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vijay_kumar49
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

RFC Destinations are RFC's to an SAP ABAP System and JCO  RFC's are RFC to SAP Java Connector at a portal or j2ee engine.

Please refer this document . it may be useful JCo RFC Destinations and Creating Destinations on the Java Server and HTTP Destinations

Kindly let me know if you need any more information

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

What i am trying to understand here is suppose we have two SAP systems, System-A (which is J2ee engine like Portal) and System-B (which is ABAP System)

Now, i need answers for following :-

1. How does System-A communicate to System-B? By using RFC Destinations configured in System-A or Jco RFC configured in System A?

2. How does System-B communicate with System-A? Is it vice-versa of 1?

3. Where do we use HTTP Destination?

4. Suppose if system-B was also a J2ee engine, in that case which method would be used for communication between System-A and System-B?

HAL9000
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Vijay:

Your reply does not make sense.

In Java all RFCs (remote function calls) use JCo. JCo is the framework that provides the SAP RFC protocol to be used in a Java environment - regardless if the target is an ABAP system, a NetWeaver AS Java system, another Java program or some other external program written in any other programming language.

An RFC destination is for communications using the SAP RFC protocol, an HTTP destination is for communications using the standard HTTP or HTTPS protocol.

HAL9000
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Shivam,

whether the RFC or the HTTP/S protocol is used, is not a system-wide decision. The respective application implementation decides which communication protocol should be used. Both protocols have their advantages and disadvantages.

Please see the following thread with some discussion and a comparison of both models:

Best regards,

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Let me tell you the full scenario. We have SAP-SLD system which is AS Java system, now we want to change the password of some users in this SLD - UME Database from a standalone Java Application (via sending SPML requests), but the problem is we don't know how will we cater the dependency of these users in other systems i.e suppose if some ABAP system is connecting to this SLD using the UME - users whose passwords we have changed from our application, now won't be able to connect to SLD system. So, we will need to update the password in some kind of destinations to maintain connectivity.

So what i was trying to identify is how these ABAP based or other AS Java systems are connecting to this SLD system and how are we going to manage the dependencies from our standalone Java Application.

I hope i am clear as to what i need to understand.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Shivam