cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Write back to non-BW / non-HANA data source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear community,

I have not found a lot of information in SCN to a write back functionality of Design Studio. Only in this thread ( ) a solution was mentioned by M. van Foeken, but I am not sure if it really works.

What I want is to create a form in Design Studio where a user can insert or update data for customers. The target is a SAP IQ database.

Is there a possibility to pass parameters using OData e.g., more or less directly out of Design Studio? If not, has anyone tried the solution provided in the thread listed above - to write back data via calling a webservice through APPLICATION.openNewWindow()-command in Design Studio?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think this is possible; only write-back feature is available with Integrated Planning per the SAP Help http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/AAD16/en/ds_16_user_en.pdf

It sounds like a good candidate for Idea Place Idea Place: Enterprise Home - there are some existing ideas out there already but none like yours. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

ok thank you. Yes, I think write back would be possible using special BEx Queries and InfoProviders in BW.

But I will bring to Idea Place, thanks for the hint!

Daniel

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

david_stocker
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The main issue that you are facing is that the standard table components in DS, the crosstab, spreadsheet and the scorecard, were not built for this scenario.  The cross tab can handle input, but as Tammy mentioned, only in a BW Integrated Planning scenario.

If you want to do SQL write back, you'll need a custom table for it.  Bear in mind that both the spreadsheet and scorecard are UI5 table implementations.  If you were not afraid of Javascript, you could create your own UI5 Table component; one that could trigger the SQL INSERT statements.  This is far simpler than writing a UI5 app form scratch.

Cheers,

Dave

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

It sounds like you're trying to develop a transactional application.  At this stage perhaps Design Studio might not be the right tool for that.  Is there a reason why you'd specifically like to build this with Design Studio instead of creating say a UI5 app instead?

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

well, actually I thought about that a lot last week. Problem is, I am not using SAP BW or HANA datasources, but a relational universe based on SAP IQ.

As far as I understood, I can not use .unx-universes as datasources in SAP UI5 apps. Maybe I would be able to access the datasources themselves (?), but I would loose the advantages of the universe and would need to execute quite a lot of (manual) SQL-commands which I can mainly automize at the moment.

Also I am using some components specially developed for Design Studio (graphomate extensions) which I would need to "redevelop" totally to use them in a UI5 app.

But I am nothing but a layman in UI5 - if you have ideas, I would be glad if you share them.

Thanks,
Daniel