cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database knowledge for SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Would really appreciate if any one could tell me how much database knowledge is required for SAP Administration.

Basically,I don't have much database knowledge so what would be the best options i.e course to learn database if DBA knowledge is required.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks

Sukrut

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sukrut,

It is up to individual interest what to learn but, as of current scenario, Basis consultant should be fully equipped with DBA and UNIX (OS) Admin skills, for being good DBA you have to learn Oracle DBA, for managing SAPDBA and also it would be better to have enough sight on BR Tools.

--Murali.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help.

former_member618758
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You probably don't need much if you have other dba already (don't have to be sap dba), but if you don't have any dba in your group and you are the only basis and have to manage sap/oracle databases, if you have chance and budget to take courses, my opinion to take at least courses like oracle db architecture, concept, and db admin I and II, to be real comfortable and knows what's going on from db inside. Sometimes administration and trouble shooting might need a different skill set which you'll be amazed and quickly learned.

Thanks,

George

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sukrut,

Nowa-days due to cost cutting , the organizations are looking for BASIS resource with DBA skills. You don`t have to be a hard core DBA to survive support projects but you need to have a real knowledge if it comes to managing a big database especially in a complex environment.

In general, the tool provided by SAP - SAPDBA or BRTOOLS will take care of the DBA part completely by putting less pressure on BASIS. The SAPDBA / BRTOOLS can perform activities required for DB maintanence in a less complex way.

You don`t have to be a hardcore DBA, just gain skills on basics of DBA like backup,datafile maintanence and troubleshooting procedures.

regards,

Vinodh.

Message was edited by:

Vinodh Kumar Narayanan