Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspection of tank content

former_member204457
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We're in process of implementing QM process for gas tanks that are used in test equipment to measure the air pollutants. Some of the tanks contain number of gases such as SO2 and CO.

Each tank must be inspected 3 times in 2 months intervals to ensure that the concentration level stays within the standard deviation. If the tank passes the 3 inspections, it can then be used in test equipment. If tank fails the 1st time, it is sent back to the manufacturer. The gas tank are also serial numbers and tracked individually.

I would like your input on the followings:

1. How would I capture the gases in tank so I could do inspection on the their level of concentration. For example if a tank contains 3 gases, should they be characteristics on the material master or should they be treated as BOM item (the BOM header being gas tank).

2. In regard to the # of inspections (3 times every 2 months), how can I achieve this so the gas tanks go through the inspection at least 3 times before being released for use.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

busyaban7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cyrus,

At high level, this is what I can think off right now [it could have better answers though...] -

a) If you are sure that you are going to inspect only the 'Gas Tanks", and NOT the gases stored in the tank, then you can potentially use Plant maintenance process. In such case, you can create inspection lots [type 14] against the equipment as 'Gas Tank' and do result recording for multiple MIC parameters for the tank [Length, diameter, SS quality, etc] as well as the % gases by volume for the overall sample taken or ppm. You can schedule a maintenance plan or manually create a PM order for 20 days for the equipment, where each such cases will create 1 inspection lots for 20 days and total 3 inspection lots in 2 months.

As this is a high level idea, you can speak to your PM team to see if this can be achievable.

b) Else, if you are trying to check only the 'Gases' stored in the tank, and NOT the 'Gas Tank' itself, then you can try to go via either of the options applicable for your business -

i) Recurring Inspection - Activate 09 inspection type for the Gas material "M", where you will have MIC's to calculate % of other gases by volume or ppm. You need to go through the pre-requisites, and manually update the dates, so that your recurring process works. Then schedule a batch job with a frequency for 20 days, with such a logic that if for one material M, already it previous inspection lot "Failed" inspection, then for that serial number, there is no new inspection lot created.

ii) Create a custom program with your business logic, that it should create manual inspection lots of type 89 for the material M, where % gases can be tested by volume. Run this program, so that it creates 3 inspection lots against the 20 days margin and difference dates. Create a follow-up action and add to a new "R1" UD code, so that if for the same serial number 1st inspection lot is reject - then it should CANCEL other two inspection lots created. If the 1st inspection lot is "A", but 2nd inspection lot is "R1", then it should CENCEL the 3rd inspection lot. As soon as a rejection happens, post the stock to "Blocked" stock and / or create return PO, via Follow-Up actions!!....

Thanks,

Arijit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member204457
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you both very much for valuable input, both responses address my questions and I found them to be complimentary in term of planning and execution. Great stuff

pardhreddyc
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

To test the concentration level of gases in your tank, i suggest to have master inspection characteristics for the three gases with lower limit and upper limit and target values.Here maintain qualitative or quantitative characteristics as per your business requiremnt.I mean to say that you want to record the readings make quantitative.If you want to have a qualitative decisions based on the concentration levels, make it qualitative.

Prerequisites:

1) Your material master should have QM view with inspection method.

2) Create a sampling procedure using transaction QDV1

3) Maintain quality inspection plan using transaction QP01

Then create a inspection lot using transaction QA01 with respect to Material/Plant/Ins.Lot Origi combination as per your frequency and post the usage decision using transaction QA32 /QA11 .Finally take print of the results.

For inspection lot origins,and inspection types kidnly check

SPRO-->QM-->Quality Inspection-->Inspection Lot Creation-->Maintain Inspection Lot Origins and Assign Inspection Types & Maintain Inspection Lot Origins and Assign Inspection Types

Regards,

pardhu