cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP system running very slow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have SAP IDES installed on windows server 2008 R2 with oracle database version 12.1.0.2.0 on the same server with 2 drives C and D. SAP is installed on C-drive and paging is configured on C-drive as 20480-3000MB. Oracle DB is on D-drive. My disk utilisation is always on 100% even if there are no users on it except myself. I have tried changing parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE to 8000MB as well 5000MB with no change. I have read SAP notes suggesting PHYS_MEMSIZE to be 50% of assigned memory. The assigned memory to the hyper-v server is 12GB. The disk utilisation is causing the system to slow down even logging in through the GUI or executing any transaction. I have run ST06  and ST02 please see attached info. I am aware performance is a big issue but I just need help where to tweak on this high disk utilisation. Both drives have 75% free space.

Regards,

Macdee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think you are having very high paging on your system. This will result in such performance issue.

Check the summation of memory allocation for OS, SAP and Oracle. I think it is much more than 12 GB.

This would mean very high paging. This will show high IO on disk.

Thanks

Imtiaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks I will look into the paging and let you know. Total maximum allocated for virtual server  at the moment is 12GB and how can I check summation for OS, SAP and Oracle to make sure its not more than 12GB.

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For SAP run command sappfpar check pf=<instance profile> check the worst case requirement

For Oracle check the sum of SGA and PGA refer: Managing Memory

For OS assume 3 GB. If you have any other software running you need to consider it too.

Thanks

Imtiaz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Guys I really appreciate the help and information you gave me. I have tweaked the server with what you guys recommended me and its performance has improved a lot.

Thanks once again to you all:)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi!.

Slow performance can be lack of configuration in Database, SAP Performance Parameters, or Operating System configuration.

For Database you should check the respective note for your Oracle 12 -

1888485 - Database Parameter for 12.1.0.2

618868 - FAQ: Oracle performance

1171650 - Automated Oracle DB parameter check

For Operating System performance -

I think you have a typing error on paging in C drive, 20480-3000MB , 30000 MB right ? Either way please check the following notes:

1614339 - Page out rates on Windows Server 2008 (R2)

1246467 - Hyper-V Configuration Guidelines

1409608 - Virtualization on Windows

And please check the RSECNOTE and RTCCTOOL report's in SE38 for hints about slow performance.

Good luck!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rui,

Thanks I will look into what you have advised me and update you.

0 Kudos

Feel free to reply whenever you want. I forgot to mention something. Since you are in a virtualized environment and using the Page File in the same drive as SAP System. You should reduce the read/write operations in C drive by creating a partition only for your pagefile.

You can also check the following guides:

Best Practices for SAP on Hyper-V

Performance Tuning Guidelines for Windows Server 2008 R2

Take care.

Former Member
0 Kudos

check in SM50 and also check any batch jobs or backup running?

I hope you have completed the post install tasks as per install guide. also the oracle parameters as per guide.

former_member662162
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I check using tcode SM50 all the worker processes are in waiting state except one diag for my login. I have done most of the post installation tasks except that I cannot find the document with oracle parameters if you could please point me to that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its the disk bytes/read when I run performance on the server which is most of the time is on 100%. No backups running, all post install done except the oracle parameters you mentioned can you please point me to the document with that please.

Former Member
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your help I have checked the note it mentions absolete parameters which do not exist in my spfile.