cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do I use Agentry, SAPUI5/Fiori or mMobiliser?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am just wondering when is it appropriate to use Agentry vs. SAPUI5/Fiori vs. mMobiliser in developing a mobile app? I understand that SAP Agentry is metadata driven so only minimal to no coding is involved. And so, I am curious when do I use SAPUI5 or mMobilser? What are the use cases when SAP Agentry could not support the requirements and thus, we have to use SAPUI5? What are the strengths and weakness of each mobile app development option?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ali_Chalhoub
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Regarding your questions:

• Mobiliser is used for anything related to:

a. Consumer

b. Mobile Banking

c. Loyalty

d. Social
               :

:

• SAPUI 5 is SAP Interface for HTML 5. So Fiori is based on SAPUI 5 and HTML5. The following link below explains it in full details for you: https://scn.sap.com/thread/3568045

• When to use what basically it depends on the application you are trying to do, so if you need a solution related to Banking or Loyalty, B2C, then you use  Mobiliser that comes with SMP 3.0

• If you need a web interface or anything related application, then you use SAPUI 5 with Kapsel in SMP 3.0

• If you need Fiori, please refer to this blog that goes in full details about Fiori use cases: http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile/blog/2014/07/29/the-sap-fiori-fit-part-3--choosing-use-cases
  • If you want to avoid coding and maintain a single project to support many platforms, then you use Agentry.

I hope that answer your question.

Than you

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add to Ali's comments:

If you are using SAP Work Manager, SAP Inventory Manager, SAP CRM Sales Manager and SAP CRM Service Manager mobile products, then you want to use Agentry (as those Mobility products are designed and released in Agentry for now - 2015). Check again in 2017 if it is the same story.

Best Regards,

Mark

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure about Mobiliser, but Agentry is also designed for offline use in the PM, WM, etc. environments.  Fiori standard (even in those areas) is not really configured for offline.  The potential is there, but it will take a fair amount of effort.  The Agentry apps are also more comprehensive solutions rather than single taskings which are Fiori's strength.

Regards, Mike

SAP Technology RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your replies. But how does Agentry let us avoid coding? I saw a video regarding an Agentry app and it seems as a prerequisite, methods or BADIs in the SAP backend must be implemented first. So in essence, it does not require coding provided the backend methods are already coded and ready which also the case with Fiori applications. Could you help enlighten further? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The UI doesn't need to be coded like the other platforms. With the UI, you set what fields and the type of fields.  You can change just a number to change the placement of the screen.  You also can add small rules to hide the field, or change the field.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. But how does the Agentry Editor/Modeler 'speaks' to the backend to retrieve the data. I believe there are methods to be implemented first in the backend which sends the data to the UI.

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

Let me answer your questions. As I indicated above, the SAP products Work Manager (SAP ERP), SAP Inventory Manager (ERP), SAP Service Manager (SAP CRM) and SAP Sales Manager (SAP CRM) have been pre-built to have two things:

1) Mobile application design (From the screens to logic and others - Agentry Editor).

2) Backend SAP Add-on (this is the SAP wrapper that is configured on the SAP ERP or SAP CRM).

Your question about how does the system send data to the UI is with respect to the SAP CRM/ERP Mobile Add on for Agentry and the products.

Example:

Reference:

Let us talk about SAP ERP for Work Manager 6.2. You will need an ERP Mobile-Add On called: SMFND 610_700 with Support Package 04 and SMERP 610_700 with Support Package 04.

FND stands for Foundation.  This is the foundation code that is a wrapper on the SAP backend. On top of this you need add on ERP or CRM depending on your product.

This add on will create a GUI for SAP called transaction = /SYCLO/CONFIGPANEL.  In this configpanel is a screen layout (Web) that configures all the objects (Mobile Data Object), Complex Table and others that is designed for the ERP or CRM system depending on the product you are using.  This add on will have BAPI and ABAP codes that takes data and returns results via the MDO.  This MDO (Mobile Data Object) will be mapped in Java objects (Jar files - normally included when you download the mobile product Work Manager or Inventory Manager).  This same Java object will be mapped to the corresponding Agentry UI (Objects).

Agentry UI (Objects)  --> Java (Objects) --> Mobile ERP Add-ON (MDO Objects).

Starting from scratch is harder to do if you want to create your own BAPIs and ABAP code to use the SAP RFC to map to your own Java objects.  We in SAP made it easier for customers to use the SAP ERP and CRM system by providing out of the box (Work Manager and Inventory Manager).  Some of our customers just customized the filters or objects in the ERP Mobile Add on (/SYCLO/CONFIGPANEL).

Best Regards,

Mark Pe
SAP Platinum Support Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is really helpful. So the way I understand it, creating a custom Agentry app is not very easy to do but is possible using the Editor for the UI and ABAP and BAPIs in the backend.

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The ease of developing will depend on your experience level.  It all depends on what you are familiar with and have experience with.  For me since I have Agentry experience, creating an app is easier with Agentry that it would be for me under mobilizer.  The opposite might be true for you.

There is a learning curve for any platform / technology.  How fast you can climb that curve will depend on your skills, experience and motivations.

--Bill

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,

We submitted your query to one of our experts who has experiences in all of the product above to make a comment. Hopefully he responds soon.

Best Regards,

SAP Mobile Support Team