cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample container number

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this posted already...but before I post, I checked and cudn''t able to find...so posting...

This scenario is for a pharma industry where I do this project....

on incoming materials( BULK,EXP) we do take samples and do ID( identification tests, micro, chemistry and retain samples)

I am currently completed my functional design document on sample labels generated from SAP for all sampling ( incoming/inprocess/FG GR)

During the dispensing of raw materials we do take samples from each container for ID testing as well for all others...

When I completed my design document, I realized that I have mapped " no.of containers "QALS-ANZGEB field  and QPRS-GBTYP in the document...but what business wants to the exact " number of the container" ( eg: container number 1 , 2., etc)...

I have checked in all the standard QM tables...so far..didnt find this one being coming from or picked up.....

Could somebody help me with this. on identifying the number of the container( NOT the number of container) ?

Many thanks

Sambath

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

it sounds like the intent is to trace the Physical Sample to the Container it was taken from?

in SAP IM/WM, individual containers of material in a Batch are not identified uniquely, unless you are using Handling Units - so to add an identifying number to a container in a batch is basically an external process. Typically I have seen the Warehouse apply a label with "x of y" (e.g., 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc) printed on the label. you could leverage that container number in the comments field of the physical sample record, maintaining it after you collect the sample.

another option to trace a Physical Sample back to the specific container is to print 2 copies of the Physical Sample Label and apply one to the container the sample was taken rom and one to the container it went in - the trace back would be manual - you would have to look at every container in the batch to find the one the sample came from - but it is less labor intensive then updating every record.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure how you expect SAP to do this requirement?

I believe from what you indicated, this is a test performed at dispensing of the material, i.e. in some weigh and dispense room.  To accomplish this the weigh room operate must enter in the container number (container Id of some sort), that they are using.  Typcially, SAP is not going to know that unless you are serializing every container.  Usually your labels are printed prior to the actually sampling.  Typcially what I have seen is that the label is printed with a blank line for the container number.

I.e.

CONTAINER ID #: ____________________________

Then you have a few options:

In the inspection lot the number is recorded in in the inspection description for each result recorded.

The physical sample number is edited and the container ID put in.

Another possible option, is to have the weigh and dispense person edit the physical sample recod in SAP directly, then print out the sample labels manually.

Craig