cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert in SAP PO 7.4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying to configure alerts in our newly installed SAP PO.I am following Michal's tip blog to configure alerts.

I have few questions:

1.I am using ALERT-TO-MAIL as consumer and have provided my mail id in task step,So where can i check if the alert is generated?
   Because i am not receiving any mail.

2.How can i add distribution list to this consumer (ALERT-TO-MAIL).

3.If i want to consume these alert in SOLMAN,how to do that.

Thanks

Naveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

1.I am using ALERT-TO-MAIL as consumer and have provided my mail id in task step,So where can i check if the alert is generated?

You can check the Job associated to the alert as Jannus Botha said in this thread

2.How can i add distribution list to this consumer (ALERT-TO-MAIL).

You can add as so much tasks in the step 4 as mails you can send it. However, i know this is not an elegant way, may someone knows a better way.

3.If i want to consume these alert in SOLMAN,how to do that.

In the wiki you have a PDF with the details Using component-based message alerting - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Inaki,

I am able to configure the alerts and alerts are getting generated,But are not reaching my mailbox.

And in log I can see the error as:

javax.mail.MessagingException: Unknown SMTP host: mail.sap.corp;
  nested exception is:
java.net.UnknownHostException: mail.sap.corp

Do you have any idea about this?

Regards

Naveen

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Looks like mail server host was left with its default value. In Java service Java Mail Client, please check value of a property mail.host and adopt it specifying a valid mail server host name. Additionally, it is worth checking a property smtp.mail.host of the same Java service - it should be either empty (then Java mail client will use host name specified in mail.host), or should specify explicitly a host name of a mail server to be used for SMTP communication. This can be checked using NWA: Configuration > Infrastructure > Java System Properties. Both mentioned properties are online modifiable - changes shall take effect as soon as you save them in NWA, no need to restart a system.

Regards,

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vadim,

Thanks for your reply.

The property mail.host is set as :

and smtp.mail.host as:

with these properties i get the error as mentioned above.

And if i keep the smtp.mail.host as blank the error as:

Can you please suggest the properties that i need to put so that mail reaches my outlook.

Thanks

Naveen

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Unless a mail server is located on the same host as application server of your PO system (which is normally very unlikely case), you should change value from localhost to a host name of a valid and accessible mail server that you intend to use. Value mail.sap.corp also makes no sense for customer systems and shall be replaced by a valid mail server host name. If you have a common mail server that will be used generally by your PO system, I would suggest not setting any values for properties mail.<protocol>.host (e.g. mail.smtp.host) and only specifying mail server host name in a property mail.host.

In my previous post, there was a mistypo - a property name for SMTP specific host name is mail.smtp.host, not smtp.mail.host.

Regards,

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vadim,

Now i understand that we need to mail.host to a host name of a valid and accessible mail server.

And  mail.smtp.host can be left blank.

But can you please help me as how to find mail server for PO.

Regards

Naveen

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen, I cannot answer this question, this is specific to your landscape setup - this is a question to your (mail) infrastructure team. PO system doesn't have any capabilities to perform services (like mail service) discovery across your corporate domain (if mail server infrastructure is on-premise and hosted internally) or other accessible networks (if mail infrastructure is provided as a service by a partner or is based on generally available mail services). So please discuss this with an infrastructure team and figure out which mail servers are used in your organization and on which hosts they are running or which host aliases shall be used to get connected to them.

Regards,

Vadim

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Vadim.

Thanks for your help so far,I am able to configure alerts and log are also showing successful.

But still I am not receiving any mails on my ID.

Do i need to do any additional settings??

Regards

Naveen

vadimklimov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

Please check value of a parameter "MailFrom" of an alert consumer job - it should be a valid e-mail address (and in your configuration, it is specified as "SAPPOALERT").

Another thing with makes me concerned, is that log of an alert consumer job normally indicates number of alerts which were consumed - and I don't see this indication in a screenshot you provided. Can you please check that alerts were produced? This can be done for example, by using a web service AlertRetrieveAPI or its enhanced successor AlertRetrieveAPI_V2 provided by PI/PO systems (see details in ). There, you can retrieve alerts for a given consumer (in your case, for "ALERT-TO-MAIL") and see if any alerts were produced:

Please note that after this service is called and alerts are consumed, you will not be able to consume them once again (they will be deleted from an alert queue after being consumed), so you will need to generate new alerts so that alert consumer job can retrieve and process them.

If you don't want to really consume alerts, but just browse and check their existence, you may want to get connected to a JMS provider of a PI system and browse corresponding JMS queue for a consumer ALERT-TO-MAIL and see if there are any messages in that queue (for details, refer to a blog which I mentioned above in this post).

If alerts are not visible in corresponding JMS queue / not contained in response when consuming them via an alert retrieve web service, then there should be an issue in either alert rule configuration or alert engine, which may be another reason why alert consumer job doesn't produce alert mails. Then it is worth firstly checking alert rules you configured and ensuring they contain interfaces for which errors are generated, that consumer ALERT-TO-MAIL is subscribed for those alert rules and alert rules are active.

Regards,

Vadim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Naveen,

You can refer the below link

PiMon_Home - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki