cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant Configuration Constraints

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How can I customize the error message if a particular condition is not met through a Constraint?

For example I have a constraint called Z_Height which shows up an error or is met when characteristic Height > 7. The message which I get when the constraint is met is "Constraint Z_Height violated". Is there any way I can get a user friendly error message such as 'Error: Height cannot be more than 7"

Thanks in advance,

With best regards,

Sunil

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I f I understand correctly, your variant configuration is not inconsistent. You created the constraint on purpose. You don't want the height to be greater than 7. In the event where a user enters a value greater than 7 you will get vthat error message. I don't think you can change that as it is SAP Standard. Maybe consult your ABAP guys?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys for replying. I agree with Michael its an SAP functionality

With best regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunil..

In variant configuration, the configuration should not like that it shows an error like constraint is violated.

If your system is showing this error then your configuration is inconsistent.

Your constraint is conflicting with some other rule or with the variant table.

Please explain in more detail..then i may help out.

Regards

Harry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Constraints are very useful if you want to do dynamic selection of characteristic values based on one another.

For example: i have a KMAT which can be manufactured with 2 different Flash, 3 different Controllers, 4 different PCB. But selection of one influences one another i.e If i select Flash 1, i can only selct Controller 3 and PCB 2 & 4 (or) vice versa.

Here you create a variant table with all the possible combinations of valeus and call the table in a constraint.

You can't create a constraint directly, first you have to create a dependency net and you have to allocate constraint to this.

You can actually fullfill this using other dependency types but you have to write lot of dependencies for this. But using just one constraint and a variant table , you can full fill the above scenario.

<b>Eg :</b>

1. Variant table:

In order to create variant table, you have to create the structure first i.e. what characteristics your going to use in the table. T-code: CU61

Once you created the structure, you have to maintain the table with characteristic values i.e CU60, here you can maintain the combinations you want.

2. Constriant:

Once you create the variant table and maintained values for it, you can call the table into the constriant.

You can't create a constriant directly, so you have to create the dependency net and you can create the constriant. you have to follow the specified structrue for creating the constraint.

for example:

T IS_A (300) TEST

• WHERE T1 = CHAR1; T2 = CHAR2; T3 = CHAR3.

RESTRICTIONS:

TABLE TEST

(CHAR1 = T.CHAR1,

CHAR2 = T.CHAR2,

CHAR3 = T.CHAR3).

INFERENCES:

T.CHAR1, T.CHAR2, T.CHAR3

in the above example: Test is a variant table with characteristics char1, char 2 & char3.

so if you assign a value related to char1, the remaining 2 values will be inferred automatically.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sadhu for the response but I am wondering how can I display a customized error message if the constraint is not met?

With best regards,

Sunil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I meant How do I display a customized error message when the constraint is met?

Thanks,

With best regards,

Sunil