cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Side Development For MII Apps

former_member1170711
Participant
0 Kudos

For our MII applications we have been using the MII Workbench for client side development (HTML/JS).  As time has gone by our applications are getting more client side heavy and we would like to use a more modern IDE.  We are wondering what other folks are doing.  We are in the process of abandoning MII applets so they will soon no longer be a consideration.

One option would seem to be using NWDS for all client side development and just using the MII Workbench for developing transactions and queries.  I believe this would require two deployments, one for the MII components and another from NWDS for the client side code.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

swaroop_anasane
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

A simple approach to do away with Applets would be to use irpt/js pages under Web projects in WB. You can use SAP UI5 libraries to develop UI and jQuery to call illuminator/runner services to invoke queries/transactions.

The way you use SAP UI5 depends on what version of MII you are using, for 14.0 onwards, it comes bundled in the package.

You can use different architectures/standards to build you project, one of those suggested by Sam i.e. SAP Fiori guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Swaroop

former_member185280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michael,
I maintain and sell an application that allows FTP access to the MII virtual file system. Most modern IDE have the ability to integrate via FTP. Its free to try and I would value any feedback you could share if you try it. If you would like more info please contact me via the email address on my scn bio.

With UI5 gaining a lot of momentum I do think going forward you will see more movement towards that development infrastructure for front end work.

I haven't seen a roadmap from sap regarding the future of MII development tools in a long time. I imagine the SSCE could be further enhanced over time to allow more functionality. , maybe you can shed some lite on the subject?

Regards,
Christian

0 Kudos

Michael,

As you already know, the SAP UI strategy in general is focused around advancement and improvement of our SAP UI5 (HTML 5 based) object library.  A key paradigm for designing application flows and screens for enterprise users is by following the SAP Fiori guidelines.  For Manufacturing and Industrial users we have developed the Worker UI paradigm which involves some more consumable design techniques for industrial end-users; specifically shop-floor workers.  Both are still based firmly on our SAP UI5 foundation and are compatible with each other and have lots of investment and support from all of the SAP industries and products and will continue to grow and mature rapidly as a result. 

Also, you can have a look here on ways to combine our SAP UI library with your own or other third party libraries: http://scn.sap.com/community/manufacturing/mii/blog/2013/10/31/sap-mii-and-html-5-demystified

Hope this helps,

Sam