Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDG Data Import for Material with a temporary key

peter_melouney
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi SCN,

With the MDG Data Import functionality, is it possible to load materials into an import change request (MAT0B) with a temporary material key (e.g. $xxxx) which on final approval gets converted an internal material number within the configured # range?    We have configured the standard MDG create (MAT01) change request to do this....temporary number that on final approval get converted to a number within the configured # range.

Additional Information

I've read the documentation for the standard MDG Data Import functionality () and it mentions you can create the Materials directly in the active area or you can create then in the staging area if you select the 'Governance' checkbox and choose a relevant CR type (MAT0B is the standard). I do not see any mentioned of temporary numbers in this document.

I am using the BADI (BADI_MDG_FILECONVERTER) to convert CSV file to idocs and we are on a MDG co-deployed solution.

With this BADI I have been able to successfully create a change request which contains the Materials in the CSV file. I can load them with an internally generated material # and also with a non-internal # (see below).

MDG Material Change Requests (MAT0B - Import Material)

Generated material number from the internal number range

Material number outside the internal number range.

Restating my question...it possible to load materials into the standard data import change request (MAT0B) with a temporary number that on final approval will be converted to an internal number when saving in ECC. (By the way, we are not replicating the IDOCs but saving directly in ECC)

I do not want to load materials to the import change request with a generated internal number because if the change request gets rejected then all the generated material numbers become void and cannot be used.

Regards,

Peter Melouney

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

d024348
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi, this kind of internal numbering is not possible in standard IDoc processing (and thus also not possible if you load directly into active area with DIF). Please refer e.g. to note 707602 ""ALE/BAPI: Unnecessary internal number assignment". It recommends to first call the numbering BAPI to reserve a new number.

For symmetrie reasons, the behavior is the same whether you import into active area, staging area or "active area with errors to staging".

Brainstorm: With CR of type MAT0A (or any other CRs of business activity MATA), you can create your own temporary IDs (PM-4711, PM-4712, ...) and later on (during CR processing) remove the MATNR in the single material processing UI. See http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-30192, chapter 5.10.4. how to automate this.

Regards, Ingo Bruß

peter_melouney
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks Ingo!

Answers (0)