cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error msg "server not found or server may be down" in rich client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

When trying to connect Webi rich client to server machines( DEV,QA), i get error message "server not found or server may be down".

However I can log on to DEV and QA servers through their respectives launchpad URL's, with authentication type as SAP.

I have updated text file with the IP addresses and host names of DEV and QA, but still issue occur.

Please suggest if any port issue might be there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Vizit

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Syed/Jonathan,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions, I updated my host file and then restarted my system.

After restart I opened Rich client, prompt appeared to change password, however when I entered the fields like 'Old password', 'New password' & Confirm new password' and clicked on OK, Error message appeared "Password should cointains a mixture of uppercase, lowercase and special characters...and User Got disable.

I entered so many password combinations but result was 'User disable'

To solve this... I Google it..and I found solution in this manner

In case of 3-tier connection mode, only 8080 port of BO server needs to be accessible from your machine. In this case a connection file is needed on your machine. To create connection file automatically, follow given steps:

1. Open BI Launchpad in any browser
  2. Go to Preferences
  3. Go to Web Intelligence Preferences
  4. In modification interface for for Webi document - select "Desktop (installation required)"
  5. Save Preferences
  6. Now try to create a new Webi document from BI Launchpad, it will automatically open rich client from your machine with automatic login.
  7. Close Rich client and Open again
  8. You will find an option in SYSTEM box with J2EE or 6400 keyword
  9. You can now login to BO using rich client
  10. Once you are able to access rich client successfully, just change the BI Launchpad preference back to "Rich Internet Application (download required)"

After doing the changes mentioned above, I was able to connect Rich client through launchpad/server

Vizit

former_member59613
Contributor
0 Kudos

Glad to hear it is working for you now Vizit.

Strange issue indeed.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member59613
Contributor
0 Kudos

There are a few things to consider. 

1) you need to be able to contact the CMS by IP address, short name and Fully Qualified Domain name.  Open a command prompt and try the following commands:

ping -a <ipaddress>

ping -a <shortname>

ping -a <FQDN>

All should resolve to the same IP address

2) You need to have the port 6400 as well as the request port open on any firewalls between your client and your server machines.  The Admin guide talks about client to server firewall config.

A test might be to try using telnet servername 6400 to ensure you can connect without a refused or blocked message of any kind.

Those are the usual suspects for this type of issue.  Usually just updating the etc/drivers/hosts file to include the ip, shortname and FQDN will work.

Jb

former_member216148
Active Participant
0 Kudos