cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Custom Development ported to HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Would be very interested in feedback on the following:

- I engage SAP custom development to write a substantial change to the Business Suite

- This gets me support on AnyDB

- I migrate Suite to HANA - is it still supported by SAP?

- Suppose it is now slow, and I use Solution Manager code inspector and this tells me why

- I implement the changes recommended and performance is now excellent - is this still supported by SAP?

More generally, is there a path for CD customers to move to HANA? Anyone successfully done this? Do we have to engage CD to do the remediation to retain support?

Thanks!

John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

of course SAP CD supports SAP HANA - in fact we deliver many SAP HANA only projects and also migration projects.

How a specific SAP Custom Development Solution that had been build on AnyDB can be moved to SAP HANA platform depends on the support and maintenance agreement for this specific SAP CD Solution (and of course "details" like technical feasibility etc.).

If the solution has been built on ABAP then that's the supported platform - not the underlying DBMS. So a DB migration will not impact the support for the SAP CD product.

However, since SAP CD software is subject to the same regulations concerning modifications as standard software, applying the changes you mentioned would lead to, say, support "issues".

So, the easiest and most forward way to deal with this is to get in touch with us (SAP CD) and have a chat about how to move the solution to SAP HANA.

Send me a PM if you need a SAP CD contact in the US.

Cheers,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Lars. So moving a CD ABAP project to the HANA DB doesn't impact support, that's a really important distinction.

CD developers are human like everyone else, and it's fair to assume that they too introduce code which requires remediation on HANA (nested loops, SELECT *).

Since it's supported by SAP, is it reasonable to think that we could open OSS incidents for code which runs slower on HANA? Honestly I ask this slightly tongue in cheek, it's not a good way to run a migration project.

I guess in practice, we identify together the volume of change required and create a CD work package that includes the remediation? This way, continued support would be assured?

John

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since it's supported by SAP, is it reasonable to think that we could open OSS incidents for code which runs slower on HANA?

Of course not. The transactions still work, so there is no malfunction present to be fixed. And this is what support incidents are about.

And while the code might not comply to the performance wizard's recommendation, this doesn't make a bug to be fixed either.

As written before: changing the SAP code is a modification and for a platform change that goes beyond a runnable solution (incl. considerations on how to best leverage SAP HANA as a platform, changing data structures, dropping indexes etc.) we should have a chat and see what the best way for this specific customer would be.

With SAP Custom Development we're in the inverse situation of the standard support - here every project is unique and common answers may not be as easy to apply.

So, in practice: just get in touch with us on that topic and we'll have a discussion on how to move forward here.

Cheers,

Lars