Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP IdM 8.0 backend and AS Java on the same Server

former_member190695
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I got in a very interesting discussions lately about the SAP NW IdM 8.0 and NW AS Java landscape.

A customer who is planning to implement SAP NW IdM was told that both SAP NW IdM 8.0 and AS Java can share the same server in Production.

I know it's a best practice to separate SAP NW IdM backend application and SAP NW AS Java, but how do you convince a customer?

Technically it's possible to have both on the same server but from a practical point of view this is bad design.

The customer doesn't have any other SAP applications, so the AS Java will be used for SAP NW IdM only.

What are the cons and pros for having SAP NW IdM and NW AS Java on the same server?

I am looking forward hearing your thoughts?

Regards,

Ridouan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ridouan,

I do not see any real reason why you should not run the AS JAVA for the IDM WebUI on the same server as IDM is running on. Sure, when you integrate IDM into an already set up AS JAVA that is handling other applications as well, this might tamper your overall system performance but if the AS JAVA is solely set up for IDM purposes I would even recommend to install it on the same server. Less cross configuration effort, no chances of getting mixed up with different JAVA versions, no potential connection problems due to firewall settings etc. You can even use a local certificate for the SSL connection between the AS JAVA and the eclipse environment.

But maybe there are really cons to this, so lets hear other oppinions.

Regards

Tobias

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can't say that I see any real issues with this either. The IDM components don't take up a whole lot or resources, and there are some latency/response benefits to having the applications "close" to each other. Odds are they share the same database as well.

To be fair, this is entirely based on my experience with IDM 7.X, but from what I have read and experienced with 8.0, I don't see any real reason that would change.

, do you have any thoughts on this?

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Matt. In 8.0 there are no changes that would require to be on different machines. Also most of our test environments, which run about midsized company, NW and IDM are on the same machine. Especially in your case where NetWeaver is used only for IDM it is also cost effective.

Best wishes,

Fedya Toslev

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Fedya. At some point will SAP come out with some official guidance on this?

Thanks,

Matt

former_member190695
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Many thanks for all the answers.

I am not talking about Dev/Test environments but Production environments.

SAP recommendation is to duplicate the Runtime and have AS Java/Portal clustered (L or XL) for Production environments.

Technically It's possible to install all components on the same server but it's not a good idea in Production. If you have both on the same server it's possible that the UI rendering sometimes may be very slow because SAP IdM application takes all the available resources. UI and SAP IdM management and maintenance are carried out by different people with different skills.

In conjunction with MS SQL Database I have seen many deadlocks occurring when Runtime is not duplicated. I know from a cost perspective it's better to have all components on the same server but then you have to lower the expectation regarding usability.

Regards,

Ridouan 

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

terovirta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ridouan,

I think the earlier "recommendation" of not having IdM on same server that has other SAP components was related to the thing that IdM is not installed with sapinst and the default installation directory is the /usr/ where other SAP software is installed.

Since I don't work in basis area so no idea about the real risk.

regards, Tero

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tero,

Interesting, since that is where I've always installed IDM and I don't think I've ever had a significant issue. Even my couple of attempts at 8.0 have used this setup and I don't know that I have ever had any "coexistence" issues. However, I can certainly see how it could concern people.  However IDM people know that the real interaction occurs in the configuration of the DataSource and the application of the SCA files, which go right to NetWeaver anyway.

Matt