cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple Exception Management with MAI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we want to monitor special exceptions with the Solution Manager and generate an alert in case of problem.

We found several documents that describes the configuration.

Some of them says, that we must create our own Metrics and Alerts in System-Monitoring-Configuration,

others are suggesing to use the configuration-button in the Exception-Management (part of Root Cause Analysis).

Which is the correct way ? It looks like both do the same !?

We tried both and doesn't get any alerts... The metrics are showed in System-Monitoring but the status is grey.

We know that there are ABAP-Dumps in the System and we can see them in the exception-management,

but no alert is generated.

Any suggestions ? First of all -> Which is the correct way to activate exception-management in MAI !?

SM7.1 with SP13

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here you can see our messages that apears in exception management:

Here is our configuration in exception management:

And here you can see, that every metric is still Grey:

Anyone who can help ?

ruth_reilly
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

Have you reviewed the following SAP Notes:

2210366 - Corrections for E2E Exception Management (7.1 SP13/SP14)

2198172 - Exception Management Data Providers for MAI fixes

Also if you click on the triangle to the right of the metric, maybe will get more information in Metric Troubleshooting.

Regards,

Ruth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again for the notes.

I wonder why i didn't find them by myself

With every note it looks better:

But still no alert and mail generated.

Metric Troubleshooting looks good (values are collected, extractors are running)

I'm still wondering if it's necessary to configure a metric and a alert in the system-Monitoring-configuration like described in

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm71_sp10/helpdata/en/93/44b7512f0de44fe10000000a44176d/content.htm

I've already done that, and it doesn't help, but it's very confusing, that there are two places to configure the same thing.

Kind regards Christoph

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think when you configure technical monitoring for system its asking you to setup alert and you need to specify what user needs to be notify

-Yogesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

After some Research again, we did the following:

We deleted all entries and configurations (in exception management and technical monitoring) so that every change from our side was gone.

We configure the exception monitoring again (in RCA - Button Configuration).

After that, we see the following in system-monitoring

So far so good...

In der Alerting Directory Browser, we see the following:

So the metric gets the Status 'active' AND 'inactive'... Confusing.

Why does the activation-status show 'inactive' ? We can't set the flag to 'active' in technical-monitoring, because it's not there.

I think that this is the root cause of the problem.

After 20 minutes of doing nothing, we see the following in the Alert-Browser:

The metric gets two Status: 'active' and 'inactive'

In the SLG1-Log for E2E-Alerting, we get the following (It's the ID of the System and the metric):

We will try to create an exception now and we hope, that we get an alert and a email

I will inform about the Status later...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem solved...

After implementation of the corrections/notes above,

we must delete the whole configuration in exception-Management (Workcenter RCA)

and do it again...

Kind regards

Christoph

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

roland_hennessy
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Maybe the following link can help http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-63263 Kind regards, Roland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roland,

thank you for the link.

It looks like this is the correct way to configure it (via RCA).

Unfortunately for the exception management there is no test-button

There are still no alerts generated, but 9 dumps are shown in the exception-Management.

ruth_reilly
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

Please check in Exception Management and Monitoring for the managed object: Please confirm for the Alert, Automatic Alert notification have been defined during the Step 2 of the Configuration. If you have configured a notification for the managed system, you might have faced a known issue impacting the notification persistence. This issue can be fixed by implementing the following SAP Note : 2113124 - Variant assignation on Alert is not persisted in Exception Monitoring Configuration

Regards, Ruth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for this helpful hint.

The system-monitoring was showing the exceptions for approx. 5 Minutes now, but there was no alert generated.

After that 5 minutes the system-Monitoring goes grey again.

The whole thing looks a little bit unstable

Maybe another suggestion ?