cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error ONS1008:Error sending message to client

0 Kudos

Hi, keep getting this message when trying to send message to device using Afaria 7 SP8 and GCM ONS1008: Error sending GCM message to client, "a5103c404f03f949", with Client GUID, "{b281068e-d5a2-391c-b4d2-df9e0afe8ca3}". The request failed with GCM message: Fail-GCM Device Not Registered. Any advice please, Peter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Adding to the Tracy reply, please take a look at this support notes http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2191488 for better understanding on the steps to be performed.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Peter,

Does your enrollment policy for android contain the check box for seeding the GCM id?   Does the inventory reflect that the device has the id? This error means that the device either wasn't seeded or has the incorrect id.  Can you give me a few more details about your setup?

Tracy

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy

enrolment policy contains checkbox for seeding. The device does not contain the GCM id in the inventory. Have recreated enrolment policy and also wiped and re-enrolled device. Still no GCM id present. There is no channel setup. Does it require a channel? If so, could you please supply instructions.

Also followed Sushmitha reply below - still same results

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Could you please send me the enrollment policy -> General screenshot for further reference.

Kind Regards,
Sushmitha

0 Kudos

Thank you Sushmitha - all values are default on the variables tab

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Peter,

Since the enrollment policy looks okay, I would suspect it is either some sort of failure on the device side to register the GCM id with google, or the device not getting inventory back to the Afaria server.  On the server > device communication page, is the address listed there, the externally available address of the server, and the correct port for the protocol you are using as defined on the top of that page?  For example, if you are using HTTP on port 81, your server address line should be

http://serveraddress:81

Tracy

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy, the device is on our internal network as well as the Afaria server. The server makes a successful test connection through the proxy for the Tiny URL and Google.

1. Would we require a public facing relay server for an externally available address?

2. If not, which server address is used for device communications?

3. If the device is on our internal network how does it register with GCM? Through the Afaria server of directly with GCM?

4. Can Afaria be configured to send push notifications to devices internally or must it always use GCM?

Peter

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Peter,

My apologies I assumed it was external.  You can have the device comm address reflect the internal address instead if the devices are on an internal network

1) yes, or something like it to route the traffic.

2) either internal address or external is fine depending on your needs.

3) GCM is with Google, we give it the project ID and the device will go out and connect to google directly.  Is that blocked from the device?  If so that may be the issue.

4) If you are trying to outbound the device, there are three options.

• One is GCM. 
  • Another is SMS using the telephone number for devices with SIM cards.  This option also requires having a third party SMS provider and isn't commonly used. This SMS provider is not provided with Afaria
  • The third is notification using the IP address.  That will populate on an inbound connection from the client to the server, or the address can be added from the device page for the devices in question.  If their IP addresses change, it can become tricky to manage which is why most customers choose to use GCM. 

Tracy

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy - that is very helpful - can you help me configure the third method using IP? it may just be what we are looking for.

Peter

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Peter,

Basically the Custom IP column of the a_client_connection_info table needs to be updated to their internal IP or the internal ip needs to be on the Last known IP field.  At that point the outbound will try GCM and fail, and then try the ip address.

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy, updated the custom IP column. I can see last know IP address displaying on device summary page.  Push notification still fails on GCM but it seems it does not try IP.

Regards

Peter

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Peter,

Can you direct message me a screenshot of that client page with the last known ip and an export of the log from when you attempted the notification?

Tracy

0 Kudos

Tracy - direct message fails as can only send to people followed. Can you please enable

Peter

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Peter,

I have corrected that.  You may proceed

Tracy