cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement of DB link(3.1) in 4.1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I’ve seen several posts related to my question, but I have not seen a direct answer.

The primary benefit of linked universes in x3.1 was the ability to reduce maintenance, by eliminating the need to open/modify/export multiple universes that contain the same core structure.

The conversion of linked universes in 4.0 is not helpful as it creates one massive data foundational layer, which will require uber maintenance in cases where you may have had 10+ universes in the x3.1 world ( 1 kernel and 9 linked). In a multi-tenant environment, each tenant should have the ability to own and maintain their own piece of the pie.

Is there current or future functionality in 4.0 to accurately replicate the linked universe concept?

Additionally, how long are .unv’s going to be supported? Clients are not pleased with the maintenance implications of the current approach in 4.0.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

PPaolo
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Varun,

Linked universes are back in BI 4.2, you can have some more info about them in the BI 4.2 what's new () and more detailed information will follow shortly.

About support of UNVs, as of now there is no planned date or for descoping them: as long as BI4 is supported they are going to stay (which means *at least* until 2020, but this date will move forward if we release  new version which support them).

Now this is not necessarily a good reason to continue to develop new UNV as, even if they are supported, all new functionality (and sometime new connectivity) is going to be added to the UNX format.

Hope that it helps

Regards

PPaolo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Linked universes are returning in BO4.2

I would expect that .unvs will be supported until single-source .unx universe have fully replicated the functionality of a .unv universe.