cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Forward Operation in CMS for New Dev Config Track

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Currently we have an existing dev config in our NWDI (let's say track1) and this is the code version we have in production. We have a requirement to create a new dev config in the same NWDI server (let's say track2). I need to copy all the SCs and DCs from track1 to track2 so that we can apply our codes on top of the SCAs from track1.

I've been reading posts and answers about this, until I found some about "forward operation" in CMS Approval tab.

What I have done so far are the following:

1. Opened track1 in CMS, I have Approved the most recent SCs(target SCs to be copied to track2) that are pending for approval in Approval tab of CMS.

2. Still with track1 in CMS, I clicked "Forward from History" button, selected the SCs I approved, populated track2 in "Target Track" and executed "Forward".

3. Opened track2 in CMS (same NWDI server), and opened "Development" tab. I found the SCs I forwarded from track1 and they were ready for import. I selected the SCs and imported them successfully.

4. In NWDS - Development Infrastructure, I imported the track2 from SLD, and I found all the DCs under the SCs I have forwarded from track1 to track2.

5. In my NWDS - Development Infrastructure, I right clicked on each DCs and created project. The download of project per DCs is successful.

Questions:

1. Will this approach copy also the sources codes?

2. If I modify the source codes in track2, will it be independent from the activities in track1 or vice versa?

3. Am I missing anything in what I described above that could cause issues in the future?

I just need expert opinions on this as the descriptions in help.SAP did not quite explained to what purpose we can use forward operation and what are the limitations.

Thanks in Advance!

Michael

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1.yes

2.yes

3, i think you are good.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jun and Ankeet. Those steps I mentioned worked perfectly fine for me.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find below answers to your questions.

1. Yes, it will copy the source code.

2. Yes, activities from track2 will be independent of activities from track1. For automatic synch, you should go for maintenance track approach by creating track connections between track1 and track2

3. If you need independent development in track2 then you are on right track.

Regards,

Ankeet!