cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the variable type and how to dichotomize in PA Expert Mode

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to SAP Predictive Analytics and I want to ask you some questions about it. Currently I am using the desktop installation of SAP Predictive Analytics 2.3.

My first question is if it is possible to change the type(nominal, ordinal, continous) of each variable in the expert mode manually? I found it on the Automated Analytics but not in the Expert Analytics. Unfortunately I wasnt able to find it in the sap expert user guide aswell.

Secondly, what do you think about dichotomizing for example a variable that contains a category or color according to the behaviour of the algorithms?

Will this may improve the results of the algorithms?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Christopher

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

In SAP PA Expert mode, you don't have categories like ordinal or continuous or nominal. In Expert Mode there is textual, numerical, Date wise  data types.

The part dichotomizing, can you explain it in bit detail?

Regards

Ranajay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranajay,

thank you for your quick reply!

According to your question. Imagine you sale different products in three colors. A possible structure of the data could look like this:

Product nameProduct color
Product AGreen
Product ARed
Product AYellow
Product BGreen

The question is now if the following structure of the data gain a better model with the different algorithms of SAP PA. 

Product namegreen_flagred_flagyellow_flag
Product Atruefalsefalse
Product Afalsetruefalse
Product Afalsefalsetrue
Product Btruefalsefalse

Do you know if there are some best practices for this kind of issue?

Kind regards,

Christopher

Former Member
0 Kudos

What exactly you want to predict here? Depending on that model will be selected.

Former Member
0 Kudos

That was just a simple example to show the dichotomous variable.

Maybe I want to predict if the sales figures of a new product will be above average in the product category.  

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then you need to have past historical sales data.. The data you are currently having is basically classification based.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes of course. I do know that. My point is just the best structure of the variable for the algorithms.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is nothing like best structure, it all depends on your data. If your  historical data is just time series based and there is no other independent column affecting your target then you should be using time series based forecasting algorithm.

If you have multiple independent columns which might be affecting your target that is the sales, then you need to use regression based forecasting algorithm.

Like in the above comment if your data is having something like product color, you might wanna use regression based forecast.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

In addition to Ranajay's answer:

in Expert Analytics, when using Automated Analytics "nodes" a data type mapping is made behind the scenes between the Expert Analytics data types in the document and the Automated Analytics expected data types. This is based on a data type analysis heuristic.

My 2 cents here

Best regards

Antoine

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Your product color dimension consists of nominal categorical values which means that the values can not be ordered in logical way. Thus, you should transform it to dummy variables as you defined in your previous post, so your approach seems right.

Expert Analytics mode (Prepare mode) allows you to define your own calculated dimensions. Why don't you write an simple if statement for each color? Then you can train your model based on these dimesions...

Regards,

Eser

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eser,

Thank your very much for your reply!

I will try that.

Kind regards,

Christopher