cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmation prompt when STOPSAP command is execute in Production environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Need you opinion about the possibility of getting confirmation prompt when stopping the sap system using STOPSAP in Production environment.

In our environment we are having Linux os sap systems,sometimes during non prd maintenance activity unfortunately we run stopsap command in PRD and it is executing and shutting down the system.Hence P1 incidents.

Please let me know is there any possibility of getting confirmation messages when stopping the system.

Like Yes/No option when STOPSAP command execute.

Waiting for your help.

Regards

Zameer Ahamad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zameer,

As pointed out modifying the delivered stopsap script is not the way to go.

I think the solution provided by Juan probably falls under "Remote Consulting"

In order to get awareness you could:

1. insert the "banner" command in the .profile of <sid>adm.

eg: banner Warning ... This is Production ...

2. You could change the shell prompt of the PRD user so that it has a visually different background/foreground colour.

3. You could create a wrapper script that calls stopsap. In that wrapper script you could code your Y/N .... easy enough to do. We use wrapper scripts into which we put variety of checking and logic and that wrapper script calls the standard stopsap.

Just trying to provide a different way of trying to address your problem.

KR,

Amerjit

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

The wrapper script was a nice idea .

0 Kudos

Hi Amerjit,

Thanks for your suggestions.Could you please brief about wrapper script or provide any links or documents which are helpful to implement this in sap start and stop.I am hearing the term wrapper for the first time and hence eager to know. Started to google about wrapper.

@Isaias Freitas/Juan Reyes,

Good Idea.

Regards

Zameer Ahamad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Zameer,

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier but a thing called the "day job" took priority.

has provided a good starting point and you can build any additional controls/logic into it.

You just create a new script which will become your de facto stop script.

Kind Regards,

Amerjit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Zameer,

Below is the example of simple wrapper script that calls stopsap, but you can modify to include other commands like to stop the listener, cleanipc etc.

By doing this, you may have to update the stop/start procedure documents accordingly.

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Zameer,

All versions of the stopsap script delivered by SAP do not have such confirmation option.

You could modify the script yourself, but this would not be a supported procedure and the script will most likely be overwritten every time you update the kernel.

Thus, you would have to modify the script at each kernel update (restoring a backup from the script after applying a new kernel is not recommended, as the new kernel might deliver a new version of the script as well).

Regards,

Isaías

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To add to Isaias detailed answer, I simply think the best policy is to inform your peers of what are the consequences of doing that...  Something soft like "If you do it without authorisation you will be fired"

Regards, Juan

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos