Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afaria 7 SMS Gateway

former_member247313
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello

I need to deploy Afaria for Windows Mobile 6.5. Until now I deployed Afaria for iOS and its ok.

I need your guide to know about Gatewat SMS for Win Mobile. I created an enrollment policy and devices show inventory and more in console. I read that Gateway SMS is for send notification or comands like remote wipe. But, SMS Gateway it is necesary to send files or programs updates?

What happens if I not set up Gateway SMS?

Also, I read about a set up modem. It is only a modem or does I need to set up a server with library like Cygwin??

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jtaylor
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The information for setting up the SMS Gateway configuration in Afaria is available here (page 42):

http://help.sap.com/Download/Multimedia/pdf-afaria7sp7/Configuring_Afaria.pdf

You must have a special modem provided by one of the carriers for SMS, or for SMPP, I believe you need to sign up for a service from a 3rd party.

SMS Gateway is not necessary for sending files and running channels. Clients can run with inbound sessions at regularly scheduled times or manual connections, so it is not necessary to perform an outbound notification to tell the device to connect to the server.

Many customers do run without using the SMS Gateway (I believe, due to cost of the modem/service from carriers), but it does afford some additional reachability for outbound notifications.

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Luis,

John is correct.  You can also outbound the device using its IP address if that is a known factor as well.  SMS is just one option.  There are a number of customers using Win Mo without SMS set up, so it is not a mandatory component.

Tracy

former_member247313
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi John

Thanks for your answers!

It was very helpful. Now I´ll discuss with our manager to continue the deployment without SMS Gateway. My tests with channels are working fine. I had a Little problem sending a wifi definition but other functions are ok.

former_member247313
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Tracy

Thank for your advice. It is important for me hear that other customers are working without SMS Gateway.

tracy_barkley
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Luis,

That is great to hear.  We would appreciate it if you mark this answered.  It closes the discussion and lets other community members know for sure that they have found a true answer to their questions.  I know John and I both appreciate knowing we have assisted you and we will be here if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tracy

Answers (0)